So, what's in their mouths?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not even sure if 'mouth' is the right word. But a bunch of the closed up zoas in this colony have some kind of brown clumps in there. Thought maybe it was spiders but a Bayer dip didn't get any reaction out of them. Please see pics!

Before Bayer dip:

fullsizeoutput_399d.jpeg

Immediately after dipping, back in the tank:

fullsizeoutput_399f.jpeg

Next day:

IMG_6815.JPG
fullsizeoutput_39a0.jpeg

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a close up picture of one of the polyps with the brown stuff? Also, I've read spiders are hard to kill, even with dip.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be spiders or another pest. They are hard to kill but that's why I always keep a yellow coris wrasse, they control them quite well.

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a close up picture of one of the polyps with the brown stuff? Also, I've read spiders are hard to kill, even with dip.
Thanks, I was able to get one of the loose 'blobs' out and tried to take a look with my kid's "EyeClops" toy but couldn't get a clear enough focus. I think I just need a strong magnifying glass. Best I can do for a photo is zoom in on the one I already took:

fullsizeoutput_39a4.jpeg

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes! Maybe I'll do a surgical strike instead. I've removed some of the obviously hopeless ones and tried picking out the brown blobs on others with a toothpick. Should I just remove the healthy ones to a different plug or rubble and toss the rest?
And BTW, the Bayer dip was a bit of a disaster. I rinsed twice in clean water but it doesn't seem that was enough. Lost a lot of hermits and two shrimp are acting weird.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragging off the definitely good ones is always a solid backup plan. I would wait until a positive ID, though you kind of need to weight the risk of waiting and being able to save everything by eradicating whatever it is vs fragging and knowing you're safe. I would probably frag at least one good polyp off, just as a backup plan. :)

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you gotten a chance to check them out during lights out? Here's some quick pictures I was able to find.

spider_on_zoa.jpg

27.jpg

I dunno, this still makes me want to burn down the house just to be safe.

zoaspider.jpg

On the plus side, I haven't actually dealt with them, but I think I've read that they're not actually eating the zoa flesh, they suck the juice out of them (just like a terrestrial spider does an insect), so it will definitely be a slow process with plenty of time to act accordingly compared to something like nudis.

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I haven't been able to get a better photo yet. Going to try an underwater camera today. Just seems like it HAS to be spiders (and your photos in another thread is what made me aware of them) but I can't get a clear enough visual yet to confirm.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the affected ones ever open? I, personally, would frag a few good polyps off, check them for eggs and such, and then dip the crap out of the rest.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what looks like zoa pox on a few of the polyps. And in our experience with zoa pox, the zoas tend to turn white around the top like yours. The brown you see could be the dead tissue from zoa pox.

IMG_2372.JPG

OP
OP
don_chuwish

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1 and Day 2 Furan-2 dips done so far. I've also been able to pull out the brown blobs on a few and have decided that it must be some kind of waste. It's just a mushy blob of paste. But once removed I don't yet know if things improve for that particular polyp later. Will keep an eye on them.

Nick stokes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not even sure if 'mouth' is the right word. But a bunch of the closed up zoas in this colony have some kind of brown clumps in there. Thought maybe it was spiders but a Bayer dip didn't get any reaction out of them. Please see pics!

Before Bayer dip:

fullsizeoutput_399d.jpeg

Immediately after dipping, back in the tank:

fullsizeoutput_399f.jpeg

Next day:

IMG_6815.JPG
fullsizeoutput_39a0.jpeg

Get a 6 lined wrasse and all your worries will go away

Nick stokes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh, had one once - great for years and then turned into a horrible bully. When I get things all settled back into my rebuilt 120G I'll have to look into wrasses again.

If you have a 120G I would look at getting a 8 lined wrasse they are pricey and hard to find sometimes but they are worth it.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you've found mush instead of crawlies! So I guess onto the next....

Any chance you feed large pellets that they grab? Can it be blown away or is it stuck to the tissue? Have any affected polyps ever recovered or opened back up? Do they still have coloration if they have?

I'm just spit balling here.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back