So, who's next?

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one red firefish going into the new display next week, so now I need to figure out which fish off my list gets to come next! I won't actually be buying it until after Halloween since I'll be out of town for several days and don't want my house sitter to have to worry about more tanks than necessary, but if I can give my LFS a heads-up, they can get my future fish in on the next order.

I know better than to get either the kole tang or the dwarf angel until the end, and I'm 112% not ready for the challenge of some anthias. I want to wait on clowns until I get a nem, so that will be next year. Not ready for a mandarin, either. That leaves either the one spot foxface, or the yellow coris wrasse. I'd also like to eventually get something like an orange back fairy wrasse, but I think that can come later. So what do you think? Foxface or coris wrasse? Will the wrasse get a little mean with the firefish since they'll be the only ones in there, or will 120g be enough space for them to ignore each other?

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not do foxface and wrasse at the same time?

that whole get one fish and then wait a month for bacteria to catch up is pretty antiquated as long as you have suitable amounts of live rock.

how are you QTing them? wrasses can be a little sensitive to copper.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not do foxface and wrasse at the same time?

that whole get one fish and then wait a month for bacteria to catch up is pretty antiquated as long as you have suitable amounts of live rock.

how are you QTing them? wrasses can be a little sensitive to copper.
I have a few QT tanks at my disposal. According to a chart in one of the sticky threads in the fish disease forum, CP is a no-go for the wrasse, so I plan to try chelated copper- I'd slowly work up to the recommended dose rather than getting there in one or two days. If it shows signs of stress, I'll just do TTM, Prazi, and then other meds if necessary during observation.

Do you think a small one spot foxface and a yellow coris wrasse will get along together in a 10g QT during TTM? I actually have 3 QT tanks- two 10g and one 20L- so I if I had to do TTM, I could start with my established 10g (where the firefish is currently finishing up CP- I'll run carbon and do water changes before putting anything else in there, of course), switch to the 10g invert QT (which does have live rock in there, but since it only houses CUC members, it hasn't had any meds in it), and then for the final switch I could put them in the 20L? Or I guess I could stick the foxface in the 20L from the start and just transfer the wrasse around as needed. Thoughts?

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they would be fine together. I don't have a bunch of experience with corris wrasse but the foxface is a really chill fish. he would rather hide than fight. and if someone is messing with him, he flares up and turns sideways and the other fish get the message pretty quick.

I cant see them being a problem at all.

sounds like a great plan. happy to hear that you got your QT plan all set up. It really ticks me off when people don't take at least 2 weeks to ensure the long term health of their fish.

last thing, a hannah cooper meter is really really handy to have. Especially when dealing with more sensitive fish.

good luck and have fun!! I loved my foxface, he had great personality, I just had to re home him to reduce bioload.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they would be fine together. I don't have a bunch of experience with corris wrasse but the foxface is a really chill fish. he would rather hide than fight. and if someone is messing with him, he flares up and turns sideways and the other fish get the message pretty quick.

I cant see them being a problem at all.

sounds like a great plan. happy to hear that you got your QT plan all set up. It really ****** me off when people don't take at least 2 weeks to ensure the long term health of their fish.

last thing, a hannah cooper meter is really really handy to have. Especially when dealing with more sensitive fish.

good luck and have fun!! I loved my foxface, he had great personality, I just had to re home him to reduce bioload.
Thanks! I've got both a Salifert and a Seachem copper test kit- I'm hoping that will cover my bases.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back