Soaking Powerhead in vinegar

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I uxed the BRS recommended amount of 3/4 cup per gallon and let them run in the mix for 2 hours. then rinsed them off with RODI to get any acid off and scrubbed with a tooth brush. i did not wear gloves but also not sure whether its needed or not
Thank you. I’ll give this a shot and be sure to rinse well with the RODI.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mikedawg8898 -- I can't speak to your specific equipment, but I've heard from various groups that vinegar gets absorbed into plastic causing the plastic to swell which creates a lot of other issues. I know this is a problem for people who were soaking the Vortech wet sides in vinegar. So most folks I know are using citric acid.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a jewelery ultrasonic cleaner that I use now. Pop a pump in there with a vinegar water mix, let it run for 5 minutes and the pump comes out like new.
I just got a ultrasonic clean use citric acid powder and rodi water. The machine heats up to 40celcius. 30 min and half pump clean other half is still Coraline. I dunno the trick but 5 min? 30 isn't cutting it at all

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used any chemicals to clean equipment in 35+ years, only been using water from a garden house and its worked great all those years.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use a very diluted vinegar solution for cleaning

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best so far is muriatic acid. Dip for 10 min scrub. Rinse and another dip. It's spotless. Ultrasonic is not gonna be needed. Especially since the inside is stainless. Can't use muriatic. So waste of $100. But worth a chance. Lol. I did one powerhead at a time. And been doing this all dam day lol

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 43.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 60 46.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back