Status
Not open for further replies.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with all the hoopla with Twitter and apparently an executive order will be issued tomorrow. Curious to see how forums such as this will prevail in the censoring of certain posts and the ramifications moving forward?

Any thoughts? It’s gonna be a interesting day.

Reactions: LRT
U

User1

View Badges
So with all the hoopla with Twitter and apparently an executive order will be issued tomorrow. Curious to see how forums such as this will prevail in the censoring of certain posts and the ramifications moving forward?

Any thoughts? It’s gonna be a interesting day.

Depends where you live. This is actually a much bigger problem that just what happened here. Personally I place it at the same level as the global warming debate. It won't have a impact on this forum.

Edit - changed word.

OP
OP
tehmadreefer

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I suppose. I don’t use social media except linkedin and reef sites. Lol

But if people can start suing the operators for stifling their speech, things will be pretty crazy.

OP
OP
tehmadreefer

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And ironically this post will likely get deleted as political things are not allowed.

it isn’t political it’s real life about to happen. So hope not.

U

User1

View Badges
it isn’t political it’s real life about to happen. So hope not.

Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes they are what we call attention getters.

In any case this is nothing new and has been around for a long while. If you every want a good read I recommend giving Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News by Bernard Goldberg spin. Interesting to say the least and it goes back to 2001 if I recall correctly.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes they are what we call attention getters.

In any case this is nothing new and has been around for a long while. If you every want a good read I recommend giving Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News by Bernard Goldberg spin. Interesting to say the least and it goes back to 2001 if I recall correctly.

This book should be required reading for every HS student. Open their eyes early enough so that some may eventually be able to effect change.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

U

User1

View Badges
I'm not surprised he got all upset when they attached a fact check to one of his posts on twitter.
But if he shuts it down, how will he communicate with his minions

I'll pass on the minion part but will ask you a question if you will. Is the social media platform going to equally attach a fact check to all posts regardless of who posted them?

Now do you see the concern and problem?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'll pass on the minion part but will ask you a question if you will. Is the social media platform going to equally attach a fact check to all posts regardless of who posted them?

sure why not?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Presidents of countries seems like a reasonable place to start. What is the concern or problem? My concern is more about the government trying to influence how a business conducts it's business. I like facts and hopefully Twitter isn't the only source an individual uses to get the news :).

U

User1

View Badges
Presidents of countries seems like a reasonable place to start. What is the concern or problem? I don't have one, I like facts and hopefully Twitter isn't the only source an individual uses to get the news :).

It wasn't about the president - please remove the political side of it. It was a simple question of who is going to fact check a couple hundred million tweets per day unbiased and accurately. Doesn't matter who is doing the tweet the question is the same.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

I have no problem with the truth, applied equally.
But it needs to start somewhere. It needs to start with the biggest impact statements.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't about the president - please remove the political side of it. It was a simple question of who is going to fact check a couple hundred million tweets per day unbiased and accurately. Doesn't matter who is doing the tweet the question is the same.

The discussion is about Twitter attaching fact checks to the President's tweets and the political action he is proposing. I don't see a way to have this conversation without it being political.

No, I do not think Twitter should be required to fact check everyone's tweets. I do think that fact checking the President and working the way down through government is a great place to start. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition.

"Now do you see the concern and problem?" Is it just the logistics of fact checking every single Tweet? If so, I don't agree it's required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back