soda ash or bicarb?

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to raise my ALK (currently struggling to stay at 7 with Kalk dosing, decided to use ash or bicarb to get that number up. PH steady at 8.2, which to use? Calcium steady in upper 400, Magnesium steady at around 1600- thanks

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer soda ash because you can dissolve more than bicarb, therefore making a stronger solution of ALK.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use soda ash because it is more concentrated which means I have to dose less, which also means less filling up my container. Your pH isn't high or low so I'd use soda ash if I were you. In my tank I don't see any significant pH increase from using it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really sure why the concentration matters, unless you are aiming to use a specific dosing pump, but if high concentration is the goal, sodium hydroxide beats all comers. :)
It has more to do with the not having fill up my containers as often honestly. I don't know anything about sodium hydroxide but I will look into it. I currently use your diy recipe 1.

OP
OP
B

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are fine.

Bicarbonate will not raise pH when first added, and carbonate will cause a pH boost when added.
Thanks - I was reading somewhere that Bicarb would actually supress Ph which was why I asked. Started my dosing today - hope it works! Thanks, as always,, for your knowledge and willing to share it

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I was reading somewhere that Bicarb would actually supress Ph which was why I asked. Started my dosing today - hope it works! Thanks, as always,, for your knowledge and willing to share it

Bicarbonate has a tiny pH drop when first added. ~0.04 pH unit when adding 1.4 dKH.

Carbonate raises pH by about 0.35 pH units per 1.4 dKH

Hydroxide raises pH by about 0.6-0.7 pH units per 1.4 dKH added.

If you add it slowly enough, all of the effects are much lower as the tank pulls in or blows off CO2 to re-equilibrate.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back