soda ash precipitate in lines

davidwillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my neptune dos adding soda ash for alkalinity. However the DOS is about 30 feet from my tank, and the lines are getting precipitate buildup in them. I am wondering if I should use a lower concentration? Or why is this happening? I use the one gallon mix, and put it in a one gallon jug. It mixes clear, and it stays in solution in the gallon jug. But I am getting some buildup in the Dos tank, and even more so in the lines....

Another thought I had, is can You add vinegar to the soda ash to help it dissolve? Or would you have to add too much vinegar in order to do any good?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dilute it, and that will solve the problem, but unless it is cold, it should be sufficiently soluble already. I would not add vinegar. That may initially reduce solubility.

Are you sure you aren’t letting solids into the line that settle out along the way?

OP
OP
D

davidwillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure why it is settling out. Its in a closet, but not cold. However Now that you mention it, the closet is on an outside wall, so in the winter maybe it did get a little cool?

I have attached some pictures. You can see the line, the Dos container, and the mixing container. They are all in the same room at the same temperature, but last winter I did not keep the mixing container in the same room, so again the theory of it getting cold makes sense.

At one point I had a lot of it settling out in the dos container, but cleaned it out. So maybe it got cold at some time, and that filled the lines up, and I never cleaned them.

How would you suggest cleaning it all out (pump RO water through them)?

The Calcium side never had any problems, maybe it won't come out even when a little cooler.

Attachments

• D7222A5C-678A-4360-A731-9106CBCE8D97_1_105_c.jpeg
    D7222A5C-678A-4360-A731-9106CBCE8D97_1_105_c.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 9C0DD234-E73C-4A9B-99F2-2DF29E2540F1_1_105_c.jpeg
    9C0DD234-E73C-4A9B-99F2-2DF29E2540F1_1_105_c.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 25
  • FBDF2F74-9CEB-4B85-A855-FEB005CFBFA5_1_105_c.jpeg
    FBDF2F74-9CEB-4B85-A855-FEB005CFBFA5_1_105_c.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 26

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure why it is settling out. Its in a closet, but not cold. However Now that you mention it, the closet is on an outside wall, so in the winter maybe it did get a little cool?

I have attached some pictures. You can see the line, the Dos container, and the mixing container. They are all in the same room at the same temperature, but last winter I did not keep the mixing container in the same room, so again the theory of it getting cold makes sense.

At one point I had a lot of it settling out in the dos container, but cleaned it out. So maybe it got cold at some time, and that filled the lines up, and I never cleaned them.

How would you suggest cleaning it all out (pump RO water through them)?

The Calcium side never had any problems, maybe it won't come out even when a little cooler.

FWIW, the calcium part of any two part is far more soluble than the alk part. :)

OP
OP
D

davidwillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy! I think I will clean the lines out with ro water, and use about a 50% concentration (dose twice as much). That should fix it. The problem is probably just the cold. Hopefully that solves the problem.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy! I think I will clean the lines out with ro water, and use about a 50% concentration (dose twice as much). That should fix it. The problem is probably just the cold. Hopefully that solves the problem.

Sounds good. Let us know if it comes back.

OP
OP
D

davidwillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Hot RO water was not cleaning the lines out very fast (not noticeable difference after an hour). So I used some vinegar, and that did it. Here is what came out. It also took the residue off the inside of the container (which Ro water would not do unless I scrubbed it off). I am not sure why it was so hard to dissolve, I never have this problem when I mix it up.

Anyway, the lines are clean now.

Attachments

• F35B643A-E645-47CD-AEB5-289D9473B493_1_102_o.jpeg
    F35B643A-E645-47CD-AEB5-289D9473B493_1_102_o.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 29

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Hot RO water was not cleaning the lines out very fast (not noticeable difference after an hour). So I used some vinegar, and that did it. Here is what came out. It also took the residue off the inside of the container (which Ro water would not do unless I scrubbed it off). I am not sure why it was so hard to dissolve, I never have this problem when I mix it up.

Anyway, the lines are clean now.

Any possibility you ran calcium through it (ever)?

OP
OP
D

davidwillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any possibility you ran calcium through it (ever)?
I don't think so. But it does have the calcium right next to it.... So I guess it is possible I put calcium in the wrong one? Or maybe I spilled some in? But I didn't on purpose, that is why I wrote on them with a marker. But you never know, I do dumb things sometimes.

If I did, maybe that would explain it better than the cold?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so. But it does have the calcium right next to it.... So I guess it is possible I put calcium in the wrong one? Or maybe I spilled some in? But I didn't on purpose, that is why I wrote on them with a marker. But you never know, I do dumb things sometimes.

If I did, maybe that would explain it better than the cold?

Yes, and the fact that warm water didn't dissolve it while vinegar did (though that might be a time issue for warm water).

In any case, you've got it under control. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back