Soda Ash vs Sodium Bicarb

Reef_Hobbyist

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 7, 2015
Messages
329
Reaction score
218
Location
Stuart, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,

I currently use soda ash for my 2 part because I like what it is doing for my pH. However, I am starting to reach the point where keeping up with my bio-load means my dosing is pushing my pH a little higher than I would like. I am thinking I have to move to sodium bicarb. I haven't experimented with bicarb yet but from what I am seeing, it requires double the amount of dosing volume compared to liquid soda ash (at least according to the BRS calculator). I am somewhat limited on storage space for my dosing containers so I have successfully doubled the concentration of liquid soda ash - without precipitation problems while dosing - so I know that works. I am wondering if I can do the same with the liquid sodium bicarbonate and dose it double concentrated?

Secondly, is there a way to get the best of both worlds using a combo of the two - soda ash for the pH benefits and bicarb to keep the pH from going too high? If I had another dosing container and another dosing pump, I could dose the soda ash at night and the bicarb during the day.... but again, that is not ideal for space considerations. Is it possible to mix them? One gallon of each mixed together in a 2 gallon dosing bin for example (or some ratio)?

Thanks in advance. :-)
 
No, sodium bicarbonate is much less soluble than sodium carbonate, hence the reduced potency. With either one you may be able to concentrate it a bit more, but not 2x.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new