Sodium nitrate questions

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 8 oz of loudwolf food grade sodium nitrate to add to my supply’s If I need to start dosing nitrate. I just have some questions.

How soluble is it? How many grams max will dissolve in 1 liter of RO?

How does it affect salinity?

I read that once exposed to air it starts slowly oxidizing into sodium nitrite. So I assume once it’s been opened it needs to be mixed right away. Or does the conversion to to nitrite Not make a difference?

Once mixed in RO how long does the mixture last? Does it loose potency over time any special considerations for mixed solution storage?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 8 oz of loudwolf food grade sodium nitrate to add to my supply’s If I need to start dosing nitrate. I just have some questions.

How soluble is it? How many grams max will dissolve in 1 liter of RO?

How does it affect salinity?

I read that once exposed to air it starts slowly oxidizing into sodium nitrite. So I assume once it’s been opened it needs to be mixed right away. Or does the conversion to to nitrite Not make a difference?

Once mixed in RO how long does the mixture last? Does it loose potency over time any special considerations for mixed solution storage?
I’ve dosed it before. I’ll attach a calculator. Sodium nitrate is very soluble (use the calculator). The dosing amount will not affect salinity. I used my solution over a couple of months so I never considered the reaction to sodium nitrite (and am skeptical that it does). Shelf life was stable.

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thanks! It’s crazy. I ordered this stuff on Etsy Friday, it shipped from California same day, and arrived today in Maryland. Can’t say the same about my amazon orders lol.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 48 46.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back