Soft Coral ONLY Reef

Jake Tully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I am starting a softy only reef for my predators (snowflake eel, dwarf zebra lionfish, fuzzy dwarf lionfish) I want to know what I can do to cater towards soft coral. For instance, SPS likes high flow so should I dial it back for soft coral? Little tips like that or any products people have found to specifically help soft coral flourish would be appreciated.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really like the term "dirty water", it conveys the idea that the tank is not properly maintained. Soft corals do appreciate having some available nutrients in the tank, but so do all corals imo. Softies can just tolerate/utilize more of it. I like medium to high flow for most of my softies. I wouldn't worry with trying to feed them, just feed your fish well, have a hefty cuc and softies should be fine.

OP
OP
Jake Tully

Jake Tully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really like the term "dirty water", it conveys the idea that the tank is not properly maintained. Soft corals do appreciate having some available nutrients in the tank, but so do all corals imo. Softies can just tolerate/utilize more of it. I like medium to high flow for most of my softies. I wouldn't worry with trying to feed them, just feed your fish well, have a hefty cuc and softies should be fine.
The CUC is probably the trickiest part since they need to be effective yet also stay alive... I am currently trying out a pair of tiger conchs and an urchin with my leftover cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, pair of turbo snails, and 3 red leg hermit crabs. Predators haven't eaten the shrimp or crab yet but we will see how long that lasts. I couldn't find anyone that would take them so I figured the new predators I have would enjoy their (hopefully) last 'living' meal.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kind of depends on the coral, even for softies.

I have found that mushrooms and zoas like moderate to low flow and light, while leathers tend to enjoy higher flow and lighting.

For water parameters:
SG 1.025
NO3 <10 (mainly to slow/minimize algae growth)
PO4 <.08 (see above)
Keep the big 3 stable, I have noticed they don't seem to care about the exact number as much as stability.

Brittany Marie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C31E53C2-7B08-4FB7-8E27-31AB9820F270.jpeg
A726F2A9-1854-4C95-983B-1B7E439F95D0.jpeg
Polyp booster, reef roids, and koralcolor. I dose 3 days a week and target feed. Pictures are 10 days apart

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back