Soft corals for 40 gallon. coral virgin

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to reef keeping and have had this tank set up for about 4 months now. 40 gallon breeder with 20 gallon sump and sca301 skimmer. 2 clowns, 2 cleaner shrimp and 1 orchid dottyback. Cleaning up a little new tank cyano, but once that is stable, I want to add some soft corals.

I have 3 large reef saver rock ( picture included). Was thinking xenia, mushroom, leather, etc. I've read that xenia spreads, but not across sand, so I was thinking I could let it take over just one of the rocks. The pulsing is really cool.

Any suggestions? I spread the rocks apart so that one coral hopefully won't take over everything. The middle is obviously going to get the most light so highest light requirement in the middle and lower light requirement on the sides.

I am using a 165w black box led. Thanks for Any advice!

20181110_161806_HDR.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say go to the lfs and look at their display tanks (if they have them). Pick out what you like. You can always remove and or replace things if needed.

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say go to the lfs and look at their display tanks (if they have them). Pick out what you like. You can always remove and or replace things if needed.
I'm in Cincinnati, and there are a few places I've been. Haven't been to aquarium artisans but have seen good reviews so might stop in there soon.

I just didn't want to add something I'd regret so trying to be proactive. I've seen some people say don't get xenia because it can take over, but honestly those overgrown xenia tanks are beautiful imo :)

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at mushrooms and zoas/palys. Personally I really like Caribbean photosynthetic gregorians.
9f597614ea41c56663f8a4626e0a9f8c.jpg
thats one in the background, forgive the algae had an ulva issue when i took that picture [emoji23]

But some people like xenia,kenya trees and gsp. if the coral looks like something you would like, research its needs, if most others cam keep alive no reason you can’t. Stay away from uber difficult corals that require special feeding. But its your tank pick out the corals you want [emoji4]

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia can drop stalks and show up anywhere in the tank, sand won't stop it. Also, not all xenia will pulse, and sometimes it will stop pulsing for seemingly no reason. That being said, I do like xenia and gsp. Corky sea fingers have a xenia type look, but grow vertical and won't take over the tank.

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I'll keep Corky's fingers on the list if I run across them. Good to know about Xenias - I didn't mind regular water changes or waiting for corals to grow, but I don't want to have to prune corals back on a weekly basis :)

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 8 corals in the last week. Any feedback on placement? Spacing? Compatibility?

I just added/moved a few in the picture so some are closed up.

1. Rhodactis mushroom
2. Ricordea mushroom
3. Euphyllia hammer
4. Montipora
5. Caulastrea candy cane
6. Lobophytum Devils hand
7. Purple brush Gorgonian
8. Corkys fingers Gorgonian

Thanks to everyone on this forum, such an amazing help!

Scott
Screenshot_2018-11-27-23-15-26~2.jpeg

Stepheng101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to reef keeping and have had this tank set up for about 4 months now. 40 gallon breeder with 20 gallon sump and sca301 skimmer. 2 clowns, 2 cleaner shrimp and 1 orchid dottyback. Cleaning up a little new tank cyano, but once that is stable, I want to add some soft corals.

I have 3 large reef saver rock ( picture included). Was thinking xenia, mushroom, leather, etc. I've read that xenia spreads, but not across sand, so I was thinking I could let it take over just one of the rocks. The pulsing is really cool.

Any suggestions? I spread the rocks apart so that one coral hopefully won't take over everything. The middle is obviously going to get the most light so highest light requirement in the middle and lower light requirement on the sides.

I am using a 165w black box led. Thanks for Any advice!

20181110_161806_HDR.jpeg
Haha! I am also new to reefing, have a 40b, and a 165w light! The first coral I bought was a green leather coral. I heard leathers are hardier then most corals, plus it is a softy! It has survived so far, and has been doing good. I hope to keep it that way for years!
20181103_113201.jpeg

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! I am also new to reefing, have a 40b, and a 165w light! The first coral I bought was a green leather coral. I heard leathers are hardier then most corals, plus it is a softy! It has survived so far, and has been doing good. I hope to keep it that way for years!
20181103_113201.jpeg
Awesome! I love my leather even thigh I've had it one day. For some reason it is what I think of when I think reef. Do you have any other corals yet? Do you have a build thread? :)

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from Xenia. They look great when you put them in, but they spread quickly and can take over a tank.

I was cutting them back once a month and throwing the cuttings in the trash or in the woods, and this was after taking some to both my local lfs.

I would look at zoa's, shrooms, and some leather corals

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from Xenia. They look great when you put them in, but they spread quickly and can take over a tank.

I was cutting them back once a month and throwing the cuttings in the trash or in the woods, and this was after taking some to both my local lfs.

I would look at zoa's, shrooms, and some leather corals
Thanks! Yes, based on advice here Xenia, green star polyps and kenyi tree are all on the "do not purchase" list :)

Stepheng101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I love my leather even thigh I've had it one day. For some reason it is what I think of when I think reef. Do you have any other corals yet? Do you have a build thread? :)
I do not have any other coral yet, but I am going to get green star polyps and duncan coral soon. Then maybe some candy cane and mushrooms in the future.

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have any other coral yet, but I am going to get green star polyps and duncan coral soon. Then maybe some candy cane and mushrooms in the future.
Nice! I was deciding between the duncan and the hammer, my lfs had $30 black Friday frags, but I went with the hammer. The duncan was super cool as well. They had a candy cane for $10 so I couldn't resist :)

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I was deciding between the duncan and the hammer, my lfs had $30 black Friday frags, but I went with the hammer. The duncan was super cool as well. They had a candy cane for $10 so I couldn't resist :)

Duncans are cool. There are two varieties, one that branches a good amount and one that grows more in a "ball", i have both and they both do well in moderate flow, not getting blasted directly by a powerhead.

Take a look at trumpet coral as well. They are similar to candy canes, I have a colony that I can't even count the heads which started as a single polyp.

Getting different coral is always fun, but make sure you a plan for placement and what to do with frags once you get to the point of trimming them.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your water change schedule and what are you using for flow?
You have some corals in there that need high flow and high light.
Do you dose?

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans are cool. There are two varieties, one that branches a good amount and one that grows more in a "ball", i have both and they both do well in moderate flow, not getting blasted directly by a powerhead.

Take a look at trumpet coral as well. They are similar to candy canes, I have a colony that I can't even count the heads which started as a single polyp.

Getting different coral is always fun, but make sure you a plan for placement and what to do with frags once you get to the point of trimming them.

Good to know, someday will probably end up with a Duncan. I'm trying to come up with a plan, but having never done this before I'm not 100% what I'm doing. If you see any issues with the placement in the picture I posted, let me know :)

What is your water change schedule and what are you using for flow?
You have some corals in there that need high flow and high light.
Do you dose?

I do 20% water changes every other week right now. Tank is about 6 months old. I was using the Instant Ocean Reef salt, but ran out so ordered a big case of the regular Instant Ocean that I just started using.

I don't dose anything. I have an API saltwater test kit (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) plus an API phosphorous test kit. I don't have a kit for alkalinity or calcium (I do have a pool kit that tests for both calcium and alkalinity, which technically might work), but I'm certainly willing to pick up those aquarium kits if needed.

I have a jebao DC return pump 320gph that is probably running about 120-150 gph + 2 korelias, one is 800 gph and the other is a nano 425 gph. So total about 1300-1400 gph, which is 30-35 x tank volume (40 gallons). All of them are in the top/back/left, so they give a nice clockwise current. I originally had 2 of the koralia 800s, one on each side, and I think it was too much so I took it out.

For lighting I have a 165 Watt ZXMEAN LED black box.

I did get some SeaChem Reef Phytoplankton, which I'm planning to add tonight along with some tigger pods. I have picked up some carbon bags that I'm going to run in an empty hob aquaclear that I have sitting around.

Thanks everyone!
Scott

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this has become my build thread, was thinking I would give an update. Unfortunately, my orchid dottyback and dragonette passed away :( not sure if I let my salinity creep to high or of they didn't like the algae outbreak.

One of my corals came with a pineapple sponge, which has now turned into hundreds puff pineapple sponges in my sump. I've read this is normal and one nutrients are consumed they kind of just disappear...

Here's a list of current coral ( all doing great) and fish/inverts:
1. Two clowns
2. Two cleaner shrimp
3. Couple of snails and hermits

1. Rhodactis mushroom
2. Ricordea mushroom
3. Euphyllia hammer
4. Montipora
5. Caulastrea candy cane
6. Lobophytum Devils hand
7. Purple brush Gorgonian
8. Corkys fingers Gorgonian

Including pics of the tank and the sponges. I did move the softy devil's hand to the sand since this pic.
20190128_224121.jpeg
20190216_215722.jpeg
20181226_231938_HDR.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back