Soft corals for my 10 gallon

LordJoshaeus

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 23, 2018
Messages
586
Reaction score
529
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to cycle and mature my 10 gallon for at least a few months before adding any corals, but I would like a good idea of what I could keep in there, so here we go...

My 10 gallon (which I am setting up tomorrow) will have a 150 GPH filter and an as yet undetermined amount of light (my PAR meter is in storage and I don't remember which box it is in...in any event it is designed for terrestrial use and cannot be submerged). The main fish inhabitants will be my Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis, which are not native to coral reefs (they come from mangrove swamps in northern Australia) and do not do well in the presence of stinging or predatory corals. What are some good soft corals for this setup? I'm assuming gorgonians are out due to the relatively low flow. I'd like to avoid hard corals because I don't want to have to deal with calcium dosing. Thanks :)
 
I'm planning to cycle and mature my 10 gallon for at least a few months before adding any corals, but I would like a good idea of what I could keep in there, so here we go...

My 10 gallon (which I am setting up tomorrow) will have a 150 GPH filter and an as yet undetermined amount of light (my PAR meter is in storage and I don't remember which box it is in...in any event it is designed for terrestrial use and cannot be submerged). The main fish inhabitants will be my Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis, which are not native to coral reefs (they come from mangrove swamps in northern Australia) and do not do well in the presence of stinging or predatory corals. What are some good soft corals for this setup? I'm assuming gorgonians are out due to the relatively low flow. I'd like to avoid hard corals because I don't want to have to deal with calcium dosing. Thanks :)
I googled your fish. This does not look compatible to corals: soft, hard or inbetween.

Aquarium Care
    • Type: Though most Pseudomugil species are freshwater, P. cyanodorsalis prefers hard, alkaline, or lightly brackish water conditions in captivity.
 
I googled your fish. This does not look compatible to corals: soft, hard or inbetween.

Aquarium Care
    • Type: Though most Pseudomugil species are freshwater, P. cyanodorsalis prefers hard, alkaline, or lightly brackish water conditions in captivity.
P. cyanodorsalis is a euryhaline species that comes from mangrove forests in its northern australian range and has been found in salinities as high as 40 ppt. From my research and conferring with others who have kept this species it does not do well in freshwater (AKA it will die long before it reaches old age) and won't show its full coloration (or breed very well) below about 15-20 ppt. I'm not the first person who has aspired to keep this species in a saltwater tank...reef builders has an article on them (not the article I linked below).

https://rainbowfish.angfa.org.au/blue_eye_species/pseudomugil_cyanodorsalis.html

Are there any soft corals with a tendency towards fish eating? I've heard of at least one mushroom coral that preys on fish in the wild and was wondering if any other soft corals have the capacity to eat a fish this small.

And yes I will start a journal on their tank. I am just waiting to set up the tank...mixing the saltwater as we speak...
 
Last edited:
P. cyanodorsalis is a euryhaline species that comes from mangrove forests in its northern australian range and has been found in salinities as high as 40 ppt. From my research and conferring with others who have kept this species it does not do well in freshwater (AKA it will die long before it reaches old age) and won't show its full coloration (or breed very well) below about 15-20 ppt. I'm not the first person who has aspired to keep this species in a saltwater tank...reef builders has an article on them (not the article I linked below).

https://rainbowfish.angfa.org.au/blue_eye_species/pseudomugil_cyanodorsalis.html

Are there any soft corals with a tendency towards fish eating? I've heard of at least one mushroom coral that preys on fish in the wild and was wondering if any other soft corals have the capacity to eat a fish this small.

And yes I will start a journal on their tank. I am just waiting to set up the tank...mixing the saltwater as we speak...
you can get softies like zoas and palythoa, various leathers like weeping willow Kenya tree etc, pulsing xenia, waving hand anthelia, and assorted mushrooms
 
Good fortune on your venture. You asked for suggestions on soft corals and you got them.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new