Soft/crumbly part on rock?

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if this has been covered before but search results didn't turn up much useful - I have been cycling some dry rock in a bucket of saltwater for a few days now. Picked one of them up today and noticed a very soft/crumbly area on it? The rest of the rock seems normal but this one patch I can easily dig away at with my fingernail.

Is this normal or should I be concerned? Should I just try to scrape off all the crumbly part (hopefully it doesnt go all the way through...) before I use it? Thanks!

I don't know the "brand" of the rocks, just what my LFS carries. They look similar to marco rocks.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda depends on the rock. If it was like "Life Rock" it's concrete and soft spots might be poorly mixed and cause pH issues. I use local limestone alot and occasionally find spots like you're describing. I'll remove most of the soft stuff with my finger or a screwdriver and use it without worrying about hosing it all off. If it's rock from an oceanic source I'd do the same as I would local limestone, it's probably some boring sponges or endoliths that have dissolved some of the carbonates

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda depends on the rock. If it was like "Life Rock" it's concrete and soft spots might be poorly mixed and cause pH issues. I use local limestone alot and occasionally find spots like you're describing. I'll remove most of the soft stuff with my finger or a screwdriver and use it without worrying about hosing it all off. If it's rock from an oceanic source I'd do the same as I would local limestone, it's probably some boring sponges or endoliths that have dissolved some of the carbonates
Hmm.. It's not "life rock" per se but I suspect it's probably manmade rather than natural limestone. Shame because it's a pretty shaped piece. Do you think if I keep soaking it in saltwater and test the pH after a week or so that'll give me an idea if it's going to be a problem? I'll try and remove as much of the soft part as I can.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up how aquarists cure aragacrete. Hose off the soft part then cure it assuming it's some kind od concrete product and you should be ready to go.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 82 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back