Softie/Leather Recommendations! Please?

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I'm looking to add more softies (leathers, fuzzy mushrooms, etc) to my 90g display tank. Right now I have a sinularia who is getting quite large, and a green hairy mushroom which is also quite large (but has never split), I had a St Thomas that was doing well until the clowns started harassing it, it up and moved and disappeared into a zoa patch and probably got choked out and died, no idea, haven't seen it in months now.

I'm not the biggest fan of bounce mushrooms (I know, I know, I'm sorry). I've never had success with any discosoma's I've tried in the past either.

I'm looking for some variety to add to the tank, other residents are some LPS (blastos, zoas, acans, etc) a mediumish sized feather duster, rfas, and a smaller derasa. I also have a chili coral on the way.

I DO already run rox .8 in a reactor, changed weekly to help combat anything my sinularia puts out.

Some I would love: Koji Wada Pink Nepthea, Weeping Willow, Cabbage, more rhodactis? I hear a lot of complaints about Kenya Trees as well but I feel like they have so much potential.... are they really *that* invasive?

Can you tell me why I can't seem to keep any discosoma's alive when everything else seems happy enough?

But I'd love some other ideas, please!

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink Nepthea will add a nice color and height. I have the green capnella and it add texture to my aqua scape. I am planning on adding either the Ruby or Giant Bali xenia as they said they grow on a big stalk and not a pests like other.

Note: I am just starting my softy tank after sps crash.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink Nepthea will add a nice color and height. I have the green capnella and it add texture to my aqua scape. I am planning on adding either the Ruby or Giant Bali xenia as they said they grow on a big stalk and not a pests like other.

Note: I am just starting my softy tank after sps crash.

Just ordered the pink nepthea another member linked me from unique corals. I had an sps crash recently as well and I'm done trying. They do fine for weeks, start to spread, then bleach overnight. Leathers do well, zoas do well, blastos/acans do well, I'll stick with what likes me. Plus I love the movement and depth my sinularia gives me

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered the pink nepthea another member linked me from unique corals. I had an sps crash recently as well and I'm done trying. They do fine for weeks, start to spread, then bleach overnight. Leathers do well, zoas do well, blastos/acans do well, I'll stick with what likes me. Plus I love the movement and depth my sinularia gives me
I am doing good with SPS but due to our move and delayed set up of my tank, all my mini colonies RTN. So I’ve decided to go to softie route, mostly leathers. The only problem is most of the corals are green.

If you want to add more check marinefarmers or cultivatedreef, they have good selections.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can definitely vouch for bubble Yuma’s I think they’re great. I have a green polyp flower leather too and I like him alright he’s right in the middle towards the back, he’s huge now. A bunch of regular looking mushrooms too. Orange fuzzy one on the left, blue ones in the middle, and green fuzzy ones on the right
E7FE207E-7759-4643-897C-AFB30BEA9E1E.jpeg
1531B355-9ADB-4BAF-80C6-1559F5F1DB5F.jpeg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can definitely vouch for bubble Yuma’s I think they’re great. I have a green polyp flower leather too and I like him alright he’s right in the middle towards the back, he’s huge now. A bunch of regular looking mushrooms too. Orange fuzzy one on the left, blue ones in the middle, and green fuzzy ones on the right

Nice! I had some yumas in my smaller tank but they disappeared in the move to the large one and I honestly forgot about them. They did fantastic in the small one, I should get more....

That orange fuzzy to the left though! Love it!

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: added a tiny koji wada pink nepthea, a red chili cactus coral, a small blue solomon tree, and a neon green nepthea.

Both neps are very small to start - they came yesterday. The chili is upside down under an overhang in the tank (I read they prefer upside down) and already has some polyp extension which is good considering it arrived earlier today. The blue solomon spent yesterday flopped over, but seems much happier today.

Back