Softies....dosing or no dosing?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do soft corals need dosing of extra elements? I know that LPS/SPS need lots of carbonates, calcium, and magnesium, but unless the spicules are massive, I can't really see soft corals having that much of an issue with regular Instant Ocean and water changes, in addition to fish waste.

Jovany Coronado

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good question. I dose regardless to keep my parameters up to par. But I would assume they would need all the trace elements and stuff

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your testing for calcium and kh and magnesium and they are low then yes if they are stable and your water changes are keeping up with them then no. I have a large hammer an elegance a smaller hammer some Duncans a couple of softies and a red plate monti if anything my calcium is high and I don't have to dose my water changes are keeping up so you need to be testing
I'd say no if softies only

68CF5DF5-3649-4E7A-B6A4-9400FBEE728B.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ichthyogeek

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, this is more of a planning question than anything. I don't have LPS/SPS at the moment, but was curious if an all softy tank needed to get anything extra.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I've run softy tanks, I never dosed alk/cal/mag, beyond what was available in my weekly water changes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back