Softies dying, can't figure out why

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at a loss here, everything was doing well but softies are slowly melting away. Seeing some tissue recession on LPS and not as open as before. I've been dealing with green cyano for the past month or so that's been getting progressively worse but not sure if it's directly causing things to melt away. I'm waiting for an ICP result which should be available in the next few days.

First noticed some of my blue Cespitularia melted away. Then some of my Palys I've had for over two years started closing up. Now my blue Mushrooms are spewing their guts and disintegrating into brown goo. I can't figure out what could be wrong.

Only thing I can think of that changed was I set up a sulfur denitrator about 2 months ago that took my no3 from 25 slowly down to ~5 ppm. I went from doing 25% wc weekly to doing no water changes at all since no3 was so low. Phosphate was always near zero with ARID reactor running but lately, it's been ping-ponging back and forth from 0.00 to 0.07, with me changing out ferric oxide weekly once it hits 0.07; Should I let phosphate or nitrate creep back up?

KH 8.3
Ca 460
Mg 1280
NO3 ~5
PO4 0.00 ~ 0.07
RODI TDS 0

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

ms (1).jpg ms (2).jpg

OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Softies and LPS like Nitrate. 25ppm is actually a happy place for them. Sounds like you are unintentionally starving them to death
I was in the same boat. Get your nutrients up and they probably will be happy.

Thanks guys, I'll slow down the effluent on my nitrate reactor and bring no3 back up. Were you guys noticing similar brown melting deaths on softies? What did you keep your phosphate at?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an LPS tank, personally I would be 20-25 Nitrate and .03-.05 phosphate. You could go a bit higher in phosphate, but getting to much higher invites algae issues

Back