How to stop decay if trachy before it’s to late

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve made a post already but didn’t get any responses so we’re here to try it again. My trachy is not doing so well it’s colors have significantly gone away it’s skin is all sunken in and there is no fleshy part anymore it’s all hard like a rock. The center is spiny and sunken in looks like a bunch of mountian peaks and its mouth has been open for weeks without closing and I can’t tell if it’s eating. It looks as if it takes in mysis but it takes about 40 minutes for it to get into its mouth and it doesn’t close its mouth so I don’t see how it could be eating i have never seen feeder tenticals. it also hasn’t expelled any coral poop in a long long time. It’s been on the bottom of my tank its whole time and hasn’t seen any real parameter problems. There is very little on the internet about these guys other then low light and them being hardy but I don’t know if I believe that currently as I have many other much more picky corals that are doing great. First image is right after I got him second was from a couple days ago. Par is between 100-160 where he originally sat. I have moved him to some filtered light that is probably closer to 60 par. Flow in his area seems very light. Loose food on his body slowly rolls off.
Recent parameters:
2/8
Alk 8.7
Cal 440
Mg 1470
Po4 .15
No3 3

2/14
Alk 12.2
Cal 440
Mg 1500+
Po4 .28
No3 3

2/21
Alk 11
Cal 420
Mg 1410
Po4 .5
No3 3

2/25
Alc 11.2
Cal 480
Mg 1500+
Po4 .3
No3 3

3/4
Alc 10
Cal 450
Mg 1320
Po4 .24
No3 3

3/9
Alc 9.6
Cal 480
Mg 1410
Po4 .14
No3 3
These are all the tests for the entire time he has been in the tank. Po4 fluctuates because some tests were shortly after feeding reef roids and at the beginning of his introduction I was still dialing in my doser that can mainly be seen in magnesium when levels went above 1500. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get him healthy again I would greatly appreciate it.

IMG_6013.jpeg IMG_6413.jpeg

NCsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still trying to balance my chemistry myself. I misunderstood lots of things but those are some big ALK swings.

Also why the moves?

Hope it helps.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of all swings and phosphate is on the higher side

It’s alive but looks like it’s slowly decaying /starving. What light are you using?

Mines in medium flow, sandbed, 100-120 par. Feeding tentacles come out at night only, about an hour after complete darkness (including ambient light from the room). They won’t eat any other time

You could try getting restor and doing a dip a few times a week - it helps corals rebuild damaged tissue

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of all swings and phosphate is on the higher side

It’s alive but looks like it’s slowly decaying /starving. What light are you using?

Mines in medium flow, sandbed, 100-120 par. Feeding tentacles come out at night only, about an hour after complete darkness (including ambient light from the room). They won’t eat any other time

You could try getting restor and doing a dip a few times a week - it helps corals rebuild damaged tissue
I have been trying to get alk more stable but with little luck seems to absorb at different rates week to week. Lights are two hydra 32s tank is 36x24x24.

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you add / replace Alk?
Yes I have a reefdose 4 I add 26ml of alc a day 5ml of mg and 50ml of calcium. Alk is dosed at the top of every hour mg and cal are dosed at the bottom of every hour. Doses are administered in the sumo in my return/skimmer chamber

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a reefdose 4 I add 26ml of alc a day 5ml of mg and 50ml of calcium. Alk is dosed at the top of every hour mg and cal are dosed at the bottom of every hour. Doses are administered in the sumo in my return/skimmer chamber
That's a big difference. Alk and cal get consumed proportionally and should be dosed in similar proportions, sometimes slight difference. Magnesium gets consumed at 1/10th rate of alk so maybe dose it once a week in between water changes.

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a big difference. Alk and cal get consumed proportionally and should be dosed in similar proportions, sometimes slight difference. Magnesium gets consumed at 1/10th rate of alk so maybe dose it once a week in between water changes.
Well my cal stays steady. if I were to dose at the same rate alk would sky rocket. I know this because I went from 8.7 to 12.2 in a week dosing at the same amount as cal.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my cal stays steady. if I were to dose at the same rate alk would sky rocket. I know this because I went from 8.7 to 12.2 in a week dosing at the same amount as cal.
Then it's probably a test error or your magnesium buffer is way out of parameter. Maybe the calcium is being overdosed then. There are times when the 1:1 ratio for alk and cal consumption does not match. It typically varies by small amount and usually gets back to balance after a period of time to.

Also when trachys start to decline its difficult to heal them. Certain dips as mentioned above or a Kung fu dip may help with bacteria infection.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back