Solenoid on Rodi source water line

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out the best way to automatically turn the source water on and off.

Solenoid being left in the on position with APEX I assume would get really hot and likely fail, flooding my basement.

Maybe they are ok to run days at a time.

What’s the general consensus on the best way to automate your RODI.

I already. have an auto flush kit.

Also does the below have a high potential of leaching something into the RODI water as a resi?
IMG_1181.png

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A solenoid normally only 'moves' when it goes from open to closed or vice versa. Other than that, its not moving so it shouldn't heat up. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if there were valves calling themselves solenoids that really aren't.

For the barrel, I would not trust anything that is not designed to hold potable water. If you think of the number of gallons you are going to put through it, spending a little extra up-front is justified.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than that, its not moving so it shouldn't heat up
That is not true. For a normally closed solenoid it has to continue to have current across the coil to keep the plunger lifted up so it produces quite a lot of heat when being held in the open position.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the apex solenoid is rated for continuous duty. I’ve had a member of the forum recommend to me that I use an electronic ball valve, although I haven’t tried one yet.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is automated using the cheap shut off 110v solenoids. They do get hot when I am making RODI. My plan is to switch to Aquatec 24v solenoids that are low draw but it has not made it to the top of my project list yet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back