Solenoid question for auto rodi control!

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about controlling the rodi supply line using my Apex for which I'm going to try and attach a solenoid valve.

As in the picture there is a shark bite connection to the copper pipe and I'm running it using a pex White tubing. The half inch PEX tubing eventually connects to a quarter inch reducer and that's how it enters the rodi system.
?

PEX runs for at least 20 ft so there will be a lot of water and pressure if I don't attach it to it's solenoid. Well that's my guess...

Where to buy the best solenoid? I'm thinking I need 110 volts brass? Half inch?

Shall I add a solenoid valve into the half inch PEX PVC or the quarter inch tubing... Entering the rodi inlet?

Pls advice
Kris

20210805_204300.jpg 20210805_204348.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about controlling the rodi supply line using my Apex for which I'm going to try and attach a solenoid valve.
Why not use the Apex solenoid? I have mine open for a certain about of time each day to fill my top off tank. I also have my booster pump on my Apex. They both cycle on and off together. I found that easier than the auto pressure / float shut off valve stuff

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 1/4" solenoid hooked up to a timer so it runs an hour a day to a 10g container with a float so that my res is kept full daily for top off

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 1/4" solenoid hooked up to a timer so it runs an hour a day to a 10g container with a float so that my res is kept full daily for top off
So float controls the solenoid.. And timer for backup in case solenoid gets stuck?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this once years ago. One day the solenoid failed (as all mechanical things do eventually) and flooded my basement. Won't be doing that again.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So float controls the solenoid.. And timer for backup in case solenoid gets stuck?
Timer can only override if the float gets stuck. If the solenoid gets stuck, there is nothing you can do other than replace the solenoid (or dismantle and clean if solenoid design allows for that).

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this once years ago. One day the solenoid failed (as all mechanical things do eventually) and flooded my basement. Won't be doing that again.

Was it a normally closed solenoid?

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it was. It got a piece of something lodged in the valve so it cold not close.

Bummer! Making me think about adding a filter Infront of mine how unlucky!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And maybe replace that cheap inline quarter inch filter every 6 months
Or use 2 valves

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or use 2 valves
Never thought about that!! So for NC solenoid like the Apex one , if they fail usually they fail in the open position always?? If not the redundancy has no effect.. Is my thinking valid?

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And maybe replace that cheap inline quarter inch filter every 6 months

Since you already have a fine sediment filter on the rodi it might make sense just to use that Infront of the solenoid. But whatever you use definitely keep it maintained!

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought about that!! So for NC solenoid like the Apex one , if they fail usually they fail in the open position always?? If not the redundancy has no effect.. Is my thinking valid?

Normally closed means it has to be forced opened. It would typically fail closed. However, as mentioned above, disaster can always happen in unexpected ways so make sure you are prepared!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, NC means a spring return when power is off.
If a valve fails to open, no water flow, no overfills, no emergency, right?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back