Some Advice needed

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, my name is Tim and have started this fun hobby some days ago.

I went with a Red Sea Max Nano cause of its size an it fits in my home
I have been reading and watching for weeks on the internet/books and started my reef.

The plan is for it to make it a mixed reef. Mostly soft a bit of LPS and maybe SPS in the future
I use Reel Reef Rock and Red Sea Live Sand. Also there is about 1KG of Biohome Ultimate Marine in the sump in the back. Currently i'm doing the Ammonia cycle and using the Red Sea Reef Mature Starter kit.

I'm on day four and have already noticed the values in the manual are not my values
It says I need about an ammonia reading of 1ppm and am on 0.2ppm, I guess it just will take some more time and will have patience and wait it out.

My concern is that on other forums (i'm Dutch) some people said Real Reef Rock leaks heavy metals. I like heavy metal but than in the music and don't think it is good for the tank. Anyone have similar experience with this?

I hope to learn a lot from you all. And if you have any good beginner advice let me know!

Pic's or it didn't happen

5b39abe3-df65-4b98-a3a1-01ac0d86b031.jpg 7dff38f8-332c-4f9b-bb52-664c9841072b.jpg 720eb2e3-d867-441f-b5fa-5eda0409612a.jpg

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, my name is Tim and have started this fun hobby some days ago.

I went with a Red Sea Max Nano cause of its size an it fits in my home
I have been reading and watching for weeks on the internet/books and started my reef.

The plan is for it to make it a mixed reef. Mostly soft a bit of LPS and maybe SPS in the future
I use Reel Reef Rock and Red Sea Live Sand. Also there is about 1KG of Biohome Ultimate Marine in the sump in the back. Currently i'm doing the Ammonia cycle and using the Red Sea Reef Mature Starter kit.

I'm on day four and have already noticed the values in the manual are not my values
It says I need about an ammonia reading of 1ppm and am on 0.2ppm, I guess it just will take some more time and will have patience and wait it out.

My concern is that on other forums (i'm Dutch) some people said Real Reef Rock leaks heavy metals. I like heavy metal but than in the music and don't think it is good for the tank. Anyone have similar experience with this?

I hope to learn a lot from you all. And if you have any good beginner advice let me know!

Pic's or it didn't happen

5b39abe3-df65-4b98-a3a1-01ac0d86b031.jpg 7dff38f8-332c-4f9b-bb52-664c9841072b.jpg 720eb2e3-d867-441f-b5fa-5eda0409612a.jpg
Welcome to R2R! Your tank looks great so far. :)

I am not familiar with this rock and I’m sure someone else will chime in.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I have never used that rock, there are tons of people that do without any issues. I have never heard of Real Reef Rock leaching anything undesirable. Tank looks good! Welcome :):)!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are not necessarily targets but ranges.
you will get ranges until you have something producing waste and building the bacteria and nitrogen cycle
You can add liquid bacteria daily and continue to monitor. The rock itself offers little buffering but will be seeded by the bacteria

OP
OP
Tim'sReef

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I have never used that rock, there are tons of people that do without any issues. I have never heard of Real Reef Rock leaching anything undesirable. Tank looks good! Welcome :):)!!
Welcome. Leaching from the rock is highly unlikely. Tank looks good. Lots of YouTube videos on cycling to help you.

Thanks all this brings some peace of mind. I sense a lot more positivity here than on the Dutch forums so I will be sticking around here!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back