some chalice colors fade while others are thriving

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've experienced that a couple of my chalices lose some of their pop and even start to bleach while others are doing great (growing and showing popping color). I don't run GFO or carbon, but skim. Alk around 8.3. PO4 is usually pretty low (0.0-0.4). I've moved the faders into the shade, but they don't seem to want to come back. I keep all my chalices on the bottom and run AI Hydra 26's with full intensity only at blue/royal blue 50%, whites 17%, others at like 7% or less (and that's only for 4 hrs/day), the other 8 hrs/day are lower (35% on the blues, 5% on white). Anyone have any ideas? I'm planning on continuing to move and monitor but thought I'd see if I'm missing something obvious.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My only guess would be too low nutrients combined with too much light and not enough flow...
That’s just a guess.
Can you provide more details along with pics?
Your po4 should be above .03....
What’s your no3 at?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea , could be nutrients , could also be they are a lower light coral.
To make it more confusing , it could be a lack of a particular part of the spectrum.

I switched lights and several of my corals changed color. Naturally during acclimation so I am running a lower intensity.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only guess would be too low nutrients combined with too much light and not enough flow...
That’s just a guess.
Can you provide more details along with pics?
Your po4 should be above .03....
What’s your no3 at?
Haven't measured NO3 in a while. I always struggle with those test (partial color blindness). Here is a pic of one that's looking crappy.
faded.jpg
faded.jpg

Back