Some kind of pod, but can’t figure it out.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I bought some live rock from the lfs and dropped it in a bare bottom 20 gallon tank. Filled it up and have just been watching. Been running about 4 months.

my intent was to use this for coral quarantine, I just thought I’d check their live rock and add some rock for surface area. There are a ton of bristle worms, sponges and even a couple of corals that came with the rock.

as well as these freaky little pods, they are wicked fast. Tend to not like being seen as if I look to close they scurry into the rocks. They slink around like little spiders. There are no fish in the tank, though it is cycled. I was considering buying a fish, and using this tank as its observation tank. But have since learned there are some pods that will attach to fish like ticks.

figured I would see what people thought before even getting excited haha

OP
OP
LandLockedJones

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s try again with the best photo, they are kinda hard to get a pic of but I have managed a few

840DC5BB-2318-4FFE-9364-1892FFF686B7.png
I forgot to press the insert button. Been of the forum too long haha

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well I bought some live rock from the lfs and dropped it in a bare bottom 20 gallon tank. Filled it up and have just been watching. Been running about 4 months.

my intent was to use this for coral quarantine, I just thought I’d check their live rock and add some rock for surface area. There are a ton of bristle worms, sponges and even a couple of corals that came with the rock.

as well as these freaky little pods, they are wicked fast. Tend to not like being seen as if I look to close they scurry into the rocks. They slink around like little spiders. There are no fish in the tank, though it is cycled. I was considering buying a fish, and using this tank as its observation tank. But have since learned there are some pods that will attach to fish like ticks.

figured I would see what people thought before even getting excited haha
Will be hard to suggest without pics under white light. A simple copy and paste from your pics should work

OP
OP
LandLockedJones

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1680026544362.png

This one shows the coloring a bit better. But they are pretty white in appearance as is. I will try and catch them moving around in just the room lights. But I only have photos of the whites on because that’s when I see them scurry away. There’s at least 2 of them.

MrPiGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also to add for the future.. look up isopods. If you ever see them then take action immediately as they can do some damage.

OP
OP
LandLockedJones

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool they just moved so weird they made my skin crawl haha. I have not seen anything crazier than these guys. I was looking at photos of isopods and some had similar shaping, but it wasn’t exact.
I was trying to get another photo and I found them under the rocks uh…tickling…one another…so may have more soon.

but so far these are the only things I was concerned about. This was just meant to be an experimental tank to see what kind of critters this lfs had in their massive tank of live rock 0.0…

it’s pretty cool. The glass is coated in these little white sponges a really crusty algae and was covered in little pods you could watch run around. I just have some bio balls in it and have just let it run for months now. Literally no filtration media at all. It was never meant to house fish so I kinda expected I’d break it down eventually. But my wife loves looking at all the crazy stuff inside so I decided to keep it up.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back