View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone tell what type of snail this is
20240315_083705.jpg
20240315_083700.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's probably a Collonista or relative (though the pic is a bit blurry to say for sure) - harmless/beneficial herbivores.

Sundial snails prey on cnidarians like corals and anemones, but they do look fairly similar to Colloniid snails (and some others from the Trochoidea superfamily). That said, aside from their operculums which are a highly distinctive feature (the "horn"/"cone"/"rattlesnake rattle" shaped thing they close the entrance to their shells with - see the links below for examples), these are some other ways to differentiate them:
Also, for what it's worth, sundial snails (taxonomic family Architectonicidae) -even the more plain ones - are typically very, very ornate with their shell color, color pattern, shape, texture, etc. Many of them also basically have a flat, disk-like shell, and the ones that don't typically have shells that go basically straight up with their heads tucked in pretty far under their shells (so it'd be hard to see their heads/where their heads are popping out at under the shell in pics like the ones you've got above - with your snails, you can see the head pretty clearly despite it not sticking out very far at all). These are generalizations and probably don't hold true in all cases, but it's what I've seen across probably a few dozen species so far.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back