Some mushrooms turning white?!

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I am recently experiencing this strange changes in some of my mushrooms. It is an LPS, softy tank and most everything except some mushrooms are turning white. Has anyone run into this before? I know that my phosphates are high but nitrate at about 5. All other parameters are right on where they should be.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait are the mushrooms turning white or the other corals? What is the highest your temperature gets and what is your alk and po4 readings?

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its some of the new mushrooms I had purchased recently... other corals are fine. my Po4 is 1.0. can't seem to lower that and was possibly looking at dosing NoPox. Nitrate is around 5. honestly I think higher nitrate / phosphate should be ok for mushrooms. My temp is around 79. it fluctuates between 78 - 80. I have a chiller on the tank otherwise it would be higher! the older red sea's run hot which was one of their issues.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the hanah checker. showing 1.12. unless I got to do some other math, it is 1.12 ppm. I have always had this high phosphates and even cut back a lot on feedings. I only feed once a day now frozen. Everything else is good and growing in the tank. I was thinking that maybe lack of iodide??

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's interesting about the hannah checker as I am about to post another thread. It seems very odd because the hannah checker does say "ppm". tonight I checked it it is actually showing 2.5! but I did a quick test w/ salifert and based on that test kit I am at .25 ! I am glad I did this check as I was about to dose some PhosBan-L.

In regards to lighting Randy; I actually just replaced all my T5's as I do every year and also have a PAR meter.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back