Some of my corals appear to be dying a slow death

jdloftness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My tank contains soft corals or LPS corals. I have a couple torches and hammers, and a large Goni, who appear to be slowly dying or starving to death. I conduct 10% weekly water changes and my parameters are usually very consistent. I feed my fish and inverts twice per day with a variety of pellet foods and mysis shrimp once per day. The only food my corals get is from the water column or a once per week feeding of Reef Roids. At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I'm begging for help. I've lost a lot of corals in the past and my confidence is questionable. I appreciate any constructive criticism or guidance.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis can be tough. They do like a direct feeding, but don't over do it. Sacrificing water quality in an effort to feed corals is a common misstep.
What color is your Goni?
Something to look for is tissue recession from the bottom up. Unfortunately, once this happens, it's hard or impossible to stop.

OP
OP
jdloftness

jdloftness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
"direct feeding." What does that mean? Does that mean Reef Roids squirted directly at them or some other type of food? How often would it be to over do it? So you are saying to keep my water parameters good regardless of what happens? Also, I am color blind, but my son tells me my Goni has long green tentacles with yellowish tips. It's very pretty, but as with everything else, seems to be suffering. Thoughts?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Direct feeding does indeed mean something like squirting reef roids directly into the goni. Once or twice a week should be good.
And yes, keep parameters as stable as possible. This will help everyone, not just the goni.
Now a green one, if it refeeding from the base up..... Isn't a good sign

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back