Xenia rapidly dying with strange brown spots, any idea what this is or how to stop it?

Thanos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this colony for about 2 years and it's been doing well, right up until this past week where I've lost over 50% of the colony in a matter of days (attached an older picture to show just how insane this die-off has been). On closer inspection, all of the dead/dying parts have these weird white parts with brown spots on them. I'm wondering if anyone could potentially ID them or has any idea what's going on. I have another Xenia on the opposite end of my tank (different variety with longer polyps) which appears to be in good health, as do all the other soft and LPS corals in my tank; this is the only coral having issues. As for parameters:

Temperature: 78-79
Salinity: 1.025
Alkalinity: ~8
Nitrates: 0 ppm (been struggling to keep nutrients in the tank, although it's been bottomed out for months so I kinda doubt it would randomly kill the entire colony in a single week, especially with the other one doing fine).

The only 2 things I've changed/added to the tank in the last year were a shipment of corals ordered after Black Friday, and the fact that I started dosing All For Reef about a month ago. The shipment was delayed by a full day and the corals were on the brink of death when they arrived, so I opted against dipping immediately and gave them a few days to recover before dipping with CoralRX and cleaning the frags. While I'm upset about the Xenia colony dying off as it was one of my first corals ever, I'm much more concerned about whatever killed this affecting the other, much more expensive corals in the tank.

20231231_205102.jpg IMG_20231231_151311383.jpg IMG_20231231_151258591.jpg IMG_20231231_151245203.jpg xenia old.png

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really tough to say from the pictures. Could potentially be red planaria, but wouldn't quickly kill your xenia. If you take a baster and blow on the areas with the brown spots, what happens?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back