some of these names I know some I don't. Can someone ball park the worth of this?

RonnieBlack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this isn't all the gear, just some of it..this is also an email i just cut and pasted
Whats this set up worth Ball park? Ronnie, It's a WHOLE lot more than 2 tanks. Much of the equipment is listed and named in the Craig's List ad. Is everything perfect? No, but all that's needed to make it FABULOUS is the skills, knowledge, experience and some 'elbow grease'. Just the UNUSED Schuran CA reactor and all its accessories retails for about $1,000. A 125 OCEANIC Reef-Ready with solid oak stand and canopy like this one would retail for at least $2500. I have a custom-made tall canopy on it to accommodate the MH bulbs off the water's surface, but also have the original UNUSED matching black solid oak canopy, if you wanted to change over to T-5's or LED's and give up the mesmerizing MH 'shimmer' and the 'true' actinic glow. The 125 has 2 400W Radium 20K metal halides running on Sunlight ballasts (also have two NEW XM 20K replacement MH bulbs, that's about $150 worth) and two 110W Actinic "03" VHO's running on Ice Cap ballasts. 4 electronically controlled cooling fans mounted in the custom built canopy. Also, 4 foot LED 'moonlights' strip for nocturnal viewing and enticing coral and fish reproduction (all on timers for dawn to midday to dusk effect). The sump has two separate returns running a Pondmaster Mag-Drive 9.5 and a Mag-Drive 7 switched by a Sqwid alternator. There are 4 internally magnet mounted Maxi-Jet 1200 powerheads controlled by a Red Sea WaveMaster Pro and one of the returns is a custom made rectangular spray bar in the back of the tank with the other return through the tank mounted outputs on each side, all designed for maximum water circulation and ocean effect ebb and flow to keep the tank clear of detritus and maximize coral growth. Just the 'live rock and deep live sand bed' in this tank would set you back hundreds of dollars, not to mention cycling time. There is a Pacific Coast CL280 chiller (about $300) plumbed into the sump along with a heater to keep temperatures constant. I have several Aquarium Systems protein skimmers, chosen because they work and they fit in the sump and stand. Two will fit at the same time, so you can always have one working, even while servicing the other. As for the limited livestock, there is a Red Mandarin, 2 blue and gold damsels, a six-line wrasse, a black and white damsel, 2 pink and black sea cucumbers, a huge red serpent star, some awesome green and purple blastomussas and some red mushrooms. There have been hundreds of different exotic corals and polyps in this tank and when the water quality is brought back to pristine and supplemented properly, there will likely be a number of corals that will begin to grow right before the kid's eyes. After all, the kids should be taught the number one virtue of an aquarist, PATIENCE! Nothing GOOD happens fast in an aquarium! If the tanks were already completely stocked, you couldn't teach them 'jack' about how and why you chose certain fish and corals to cohabitate and how and why they grow and flourish, but you can certainly teach them from the library of hundreds of dollars worth of books that goes along with all the other equipment. There are several cannister filters including an Eheim and a fantastic 56 gallon flat tank that can be set up for up-close viewing and possibly handling some of the creatures. When I had it running, it was actually my favorite. I also have a pendant MH that could be suspended over the top to really make it pop! There is a huge amount of dried 'live rock' that could be put in that tank and be re-mineralized right before the kid's eyes and you could take pictures from the birth of a new environment as it magically transforms into a rich and beautiful marine ecosystem, all the while teaching them how and WHY it happens. The local 'reef club' and marine retailers will donate all the corals and common fish you could possibly use, if you just ask. Few things are more rewarding! The 37 gallon Oceanic that is running is a favorite of the kids also and could be used as a 'species specific' tank if desired. It has a Mag-Drive pump in the custom-built sump with a spray bar outlet in the back of the tank. It's Maxi-Jets, hidden in the reef, are controlled by another Red Sea WaveMaster Pro and it has an Aquarium Systems protein skimmer in the sump. This tank has a 24" Sundial T5HO light fixture ($279) complete with cooling fans and separate timers for dawn to dusk effect. I also have an LED 'moonlight' strip for this tank. Once again, it already has really beautiful live rock and a live deep sand bed and it has a Perc clown and a blue and gold damsel in it. It will have the same propensity, when brought to pristine water conditions and mineralization, to magically spring up some of the dozens of exotic corals that were previously placed in it. Then there is the 10 gallon clownfish propagation tank complete with the book that details exactly how to retrieve the hundreds of fry from a mated pair and exactly how to feed and grow them into adults. Talk about something that amazes kids! Then there is the 75 gallon blonde aquarium stand and cap. You could get someone to donate a 75 for a song and they make a great reef tank as opposed to a 55 due to the added depth of the tank for solidly stacking a beautiful reef. There is a 37 gallon (a bit scratched up, but not important) that could be used as a 'quarantine' tank to teach the virtues of that discipline.There are all kinds of gadgets and bunches of different lights that could find a use through some creativity. Lots of chemicals and carbon for restoring and maintaining water quality. Salinity meters, nets, coral tools and other stuff. Many pounds of coral propagation discs in all shapes and sizes. Oh, there is also a BRAND NEW new, in the box, Coralife Pureflow ll 3-stage RO system and buckets. I have probably missed a lot of things, like some of the decorative things like a large REAL fish net with the corks and a ship's wheel and large brass propeller. Almost enough stuff to start a marine fish store! LOL You get it ALL!!!Everything HAS to moved before next weekend. I'll try to work with you anyway I can.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back