Some SPS Tips Turning Brown - Algae build Up - Lots of Info & Pictures - Updated

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referencing post #14 and post #17. I only brought it up because you seem very sure that phosphate didn't bottom out and cause this issue. I hope you'll keep an open mind that chronic lack of phosphate may be the root cause.

Got ya. I have never been under .03 during my testing. Now that I stopped running gfo, I'm sitting at .08-.09. However when I sent in my water sample, I tested at .07 twice using the Hanna checker. When I got my results back it said it was .02 ... found that odd.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No further issues. Everything looking great. Still investigating exact cause.

20201018_181720.jpg
20201018_181633.jpg

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Did those tips heal without snipping them?

I snipped the brown area tips and no further problems.

It's been 3 weeks since you first posted.
Are you thinking it may have been the GFO?

I'm thinking GFO/Carbon. Was thinking it was my salt but no definitive evidence. My buddy went through the exact same issues. Switch salts and no further problems.

If so, how much GFO were you running in the reactor?

I followed the BRS calculator for high capacity gfo. 1.56 cups. With a little extra. 1.25 cups of carbon Rox .8

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. The likely suspect was probably my reactor was too aggressive stripping my tank of needed nutrients. I have sent two tests out. Before each test I checked my phosphates. Confirmed .06-.07. However results from testing show .02. Not sure what to believe. So when I was running my phosphates at .03, does that mean they were really 0 or close to it? That would explain some issues.

I have had no further problems. To recap:

I switched my salt from Fritz to Aquaforest. Like I mentioned before, I had friends who dealt with the exact same thing, resolved by simply switching salts. No hard evidence. ICP test showed no major problems to indicate one way or another.

Turned off my GFO/Carbon Reactor. I use to run .03-.06 phosphates. Now I try to stay around .10 - I have never ran it that high. But my corals seem to be much happier. I'll turn on my reactor for 6 hours or so when my phosphates get to .13ish, bringing it back to around .10

I orignally lowered my lighting to 25% and slowly started ramping up. About 5% increase each week. Just raised from 45% to 50%. I plan to cap out around 60%.

All parameters are still rock solid. Nitrates 8ish, Alk 7.8ish, Calc 440ish, Mag 1350ish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back