Something has eaten its way through my plywood tank! Need help on repair!

OP
OP
Mr_Stian

Mr_Stian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not thought about that! That would have been very easy!

The only downside to this opposed to what I already have done is that I don't have the core of the plywood exposed to dry out the rest of the humidity...

Anyway I have already done the fiberglass...

OP
OP
Mr_Stian

Mr_Stian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i filled up the tank with water again. Hoping that everything is OK. Since i have 4 tanks that i use as the sump, i have had a smaller pump to pump water to the first of these tanks to circulate the water through a standard garden hose. Today i found out that there had been a kink in the hose causing the flow to be very little. Hoping that the water inside the first tank of the sump has not gone bad on me.

The final solution that i went with was, as the pictures in previous posts shows, that i drilled a hole to remove the part of the wall that was damaged, covered this with 2 layers of fibreglass and then 2 coats of Pondshield epoxy. There is no movement of the fibreglass (this is slightly flexible) and no leaks. I have probably added around 400 liters of fresh saltwater to the tank...

I also managed to get the sea urchin that i have in the DT out of there and into the sump. See the below picture. Hopefully i have managed to get the thing responsible for the damage out of the tank. :)

Thanks for all your help in this thread! :)

Bilde 04.10.2020, 22 06 27.jpg

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i filled up the tank with water again. Hoping that everything is OK. Since i have 4 tanks that i use as the sump, i have had a smaller pump to pump water to the first of these tanks to circulate the water through a standard garden hose. Today i found out that there had been a kink in the hose causing the flow to be very little. Hoping that the water inside the first tank of the sump has not gone bad on me.

The final solution that i went with was, as the pictures in previous posts shows, that i drilled a hole to remove the part of the wall that was damaged, covered this with 2 layers of fibreglass and then 2 coats of Pondshield epoxy. There is no movement of the fibreglass (this is slightly flexible) and no leaks. I have probably added around 400 liters of fresh saltwater to the tank...

I also managed to get the sea urchin that i have in the DT out of there and into the sump. See the below picture. Hopefully i have managed to get the thing responsible for the damage out of the tank. :)

Thanks for all your help in this thread! :)

Bilde 04.10.2020, 22 06 27.jpg
Looks like a rock boring urchin. I had a couple of these that came in on the live rock. Once I caught of them eating an Acropora they were banished to my big fish tank where the puffers and triggers are them. I am glad it did not do more damage.

OP
OP
Mr_Stian

Mr_Stian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 of these. One i removed almost a year ago because it was tipping over rocks. Both of them came with some of the rock that i have. Both have been with me for many years without causing much problems. I might return the cleaner shrimp to the DT now that i am more convinced that the culprit has been caught.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back