Something has overrun my tank, help!

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days of chemiclean did not help it. I just started algaefix to try and kill it off, along with some bubble algae that's getting outta hand. What the heck is this stuff? It doesn't disappear overnight.

Po4 0.14
No3 16

1000004408.jpg

1000004409.jpg

here's a vid

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried going lights out for a few days. Sorta looks like dianos

RadReefer99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a massive nutrient imbalance and lack of proper mechanical/biological export in place. To further make it worse, maybe you’ve had quite a bit a of cleanup crew like snails that have perished in the tank further contributing to the nutrient load. Chemiclean isn’t gonna fix this

I would do the following:

1.25% water change and siphon out as much dinos as possible(off rocks and sand)Remove all empty shells, any detritus, suck out bubble algae etc.
2. Figure out a way to add additional water polishing filtration equipment. A small uv, ozone, a larger skimmer(or make sure the one you have is actually working correctly, and a way to skim the surface of your water. If you don’t have some sort of mechanical filter like a sump, canister, hang on the back, something…get one set up. You need a place to run filter pads to pick up any particulate floating around. This way you can rapidly remove all the stuff circulating around.
3. Turn off your light for a couple days and when you turn it on run it minimally if you must. Basically you need to the biological to catch up with the nutrient load and by keeping the light off, you will decrease the Dino population.
4. After a week, I’d do another water change and continue on doing this weekly until the problem dissipates.

Without all the particulars of your tank, this is just general advice

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days of chemiclean did not help it. I just started algaefix to try and kill it off, along with some bubble algae that's getting outta hand. What the heck is this stuff? It doesn't disappear overnight.

Po4 0.14
No3 16

1000004408.jpg

1000004409.jpg

here's a vid
I’m not too experienced with dinos but one thing you should do is manually remove as much of it as possible, whatever it may be. You are your best clean up crew. Also a 3-5 day blackout could help. Goodluck my friend

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Po4 0.14
No3 16

1000004408.jpg

1000004409.jpg

here's a vid
These are flagellates, not dino and looks like a filamentous substance known as Lyngbya. Shave off with an edge of old credit card or plastic scraper and net or siphon and increase water flow slightly and add snails such and nerite, cerith and astrea to help with control

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are flagellates, not dino and looks like a filamentous substance known as Lyngbya. Shave off with an edge of old credit card or plastic scraper and net or siphon and increase water flow slightly and add snails such and nerite, cerith and astrea to help with control
Wouldn't lyngbya be affected by chemiclean, being cyano?

RadReefer99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos are flagellates
Looks like he’s been doing that and it hasnt worked. He needs to remove particulate, process waste better and the problem will correct. All of these slimes need a fuel. If you cut that fuel off the fire goes out

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos are flagellates
Looks like he’s been doing that and it hasnt worked. He needs to remove particulate, process waste better and the problem will correct. All of these slimes need a fuel. If you cut that fuel off the fire goes out
I have (2) 200 micron socks and a skimmer. I've blown off all of the rockwork routinely, have good flow and a good cuc. I have to dose N&p to maintain levels.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar. Not sure if yours is similar or not. My wife ran a Pura Air freshener and it caused my tank to have a white slime caused by an airborne bacteria called Alcaligenes faecalis:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wouldn't lyngbya be affected by chemiclean, being cyano?
Not necessarily. Chemiclean is an antibiotic and may or may not work and at tmes a risk.

RadReefer99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (2) 200 micron socks and a skimmer. I've blown off all of the rockwork routinely, have good flow and a good cuc. I have to dose N&p to maintain levels.
And you’re siphoning off the rocks or blowing them off with a power head or waving with your hand so that the socks and skimmer take the particulate out? Are you then immediately washing the socks? Also, have you been losing clean up crew? I see some fresh shells that’s why I ask. How often are you changing water?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like low flow and poor maintenance to me. If you blow out the rocks(with a pump) and remove it all with filler socks and w/c, how long does it take to come back?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dinos are flagellates
These are non-photosynthetic whereas dino is single cell photosynthetic making it often slimy and widespread. Dinos consume nitrate and phosphate and it's biological deficiencies that cause the dino structure.

RadReefer99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are non-photosynthetic whereas dino is single cell photosynthetic making it often slimy and widespread. Dinos consume nitrate and phosphate and it's biological deficiencies that cause the dino structure.
Are you sure about that? Who said what’s pictured here is non photosynthetic?

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like low flow and poor maintenance to me. If you blow out the rocks(with a pump) and remove it all with filler socks and w/c, how long does it take to come back?
I have a nero 5 set to 1800gph in a system with 13g total water volume. I highly doubt low flow is an issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back