Something has started eating one of my corals.

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just noticed today that something has taken some big chunks out of one of my corals. Everything I bought was told to me to be reef safe at my local fish store. Do you guys have any idea which critter did it and if so why? I feed my fish twice a day so I feel that they shouldn’t be hungry. This is what is in my tank: 2 clowns, 2 blue damsels, 1 skunk clown, and 1 silver bellied wrasse. I also have one banded coral shrimp and one emerald crab. Here is a pic of the damage. Thanks for your help.

F7AAF129-CEFB-465B-89B7-4E1511EC54E2.jpeg

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just noticed today that something has taken some big chunks out of one of my corals. Everything I bought was told to me to be reef safe at my local fish store. Do you guys have any idea which critter did it and if so why? I feed my fish twice a day so I feel that they shouldn’t be hungry. This is what is in my tank: 2 clowns, 2 blue damsels, 1 skunk clown, and 1 silver bellied wrasse. I also have one banded coral shrimp and one emerald crab. Here is a pic of the damage. Thanks for your help.

I have my suspicions it’s the banded coral shrimp because he’s always hanging out in this area but are they known for eating corals?

Last edited:

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my suspicions it’s the banded coral shrimp because he’s always hangout in this area but are they know for eating corals?
Suspicions are usually right. Check up on it at night after the lights have been off for a few hours.

OP
OP
M

msavoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely one of the shrimp or crabs.
Do you think it’s because they’re not getting enough food? The banded coral shrimp is really bad at catching food I find. I’ll put it in the water and big pieces will float right past his head and he won’t even grab them. Because of this I feel sometimes he’s not getting enough food. I’m not sure if I should feed him by hand or what.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Emerald crab would be my bet

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it’s because they’re not getting enough food? The banded coral shrimp is really bad at catching food I find. I’ll put it in the water and big pieces will float right past his head and he won’t even grab them. Because of this I feel sometimes he’s not getting enough food. I’m not sure if I should feed him by hand or what.
Could be. If it has started munching on coral then it will know its a source of food. Only real option is to remove it. Place it in the sump or give it to your LFS. I caught a peppermint shrimp munching on a coral in the middle of the night.

It could be the crab. You will just have to catch it in the act.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had my shrimp eat coral. I will throw him an algae wafer and he will eat that and I will shoot krill out of turkey baster and he will catch the pieces. Turn the pumps off when you feed and it will be easier for him to eat

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 131 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back