Something is very wrong w/my blenny

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t even think this is a disease thing, but IDK where else to put this so here goes.

Fish were normal all day, eating, behaving as usual. Earlier this evening I cleaned the tank glass w/the magnetic algae scraper — nothing unusual. I go back and forth on all sides, then down into the sand around the edges of the tank. Only thing I did different this time was move the powerhead to scrape a lot of built up gunk on the glass in the corner, and I was pretty aggressive with that. I didn’t turn the powerhead off — just move it a bit to reach the corner.

I don’t know what I did, but something made the fish — 2 clowns and a tailspot blenny — and cleaner shrimp freak out. Clowns and shrimp are back to normal now, but the blenny is hiding in his barnacle looking like death, with very rapid gill movements. No telltale signs of disease. His skin is clear. But he’s gone white and had his stress stripes — although that is normal for this time of night when he “goes to bed.”

Did I stress him too much? Release some sort of toxin from the sand or whatever was built up in the glass? The feather dusters are right near that corner and they've been happily out this whole time.

I put a poly filter in the sump, and aside from the blenny I’m not seeing any signs of stress from any of the other tank inhabitants now.

I just don’t know what I did or how I can help him other than leave him be to not stress him further.

This fish has a history of being easily stressed. But I’ve never seen him behave quite like he is now — it’s really scary.

Edit: just attached a video. Now he’s moved to the sand like this. This is 100% not normal for him to be on the sand like this. The clowns are doing their normal thing, and so is the shrimp.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this.

Any ideas? He seems to have calmed his breathing down now and is back in his normal nighttime resting place, off the sand.

Best to just leave him be for the night to fully de-stress?

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert. Just throwing an idea out there. Maybe see if he can still eat? Maybe that would help you relax for the night if he eats a snack?

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably panicking from the "food giant" looking at them so close! ;)

might have just gotten spooked from the scraper.

my clowns throw a fit every time I have to swap off my wavemakers, sometimes fish are just drama queens!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you stir up some ammonia in that low flow area?
Rapid Gill movement sounds like that.
A good water change will help.
Let things get back to normal.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked and he’s still behaving normally in his regular spot. Could’ve stirred something up — I’ve got water going so I can give a water change tomorrow a.m. In the meantime they’ve got a bit of Poly Filter, and I added Prime.

Seems like either I stirred something up or he’s a true drama queen, but man he looked like he was about to die there for a while.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he’s perfectly fine this morning — swimming w/the clowns at the front of the tank, waiting for it to be breakfast time.

I guess he’s an extra sensitive soul.

Still gonna do a water change this a.m., and will be a bit more conscious when cleaning in the tank next time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back