Somethings bothering my Duncan

  • Thread starter Thread starter Omarcrown
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Omarcrown

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 16, 2025
Messages
112
Reaction score
39
Location
Augusta
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000037869.jpg

1000037867.jpg
1000037866.jpg

Sorry about the screenshot but it doesnt let me upload them directly for some reason.

Parameters:
40 gallon breeder approx 35 gallons of water with added nano 30 filter recently cleaned and swapped all media
Calcium:440ppm (just topped it off)
Salinity 1.027
Mag: unknown no test kit
Ph 8.1
KH 8-9
Phosphates: less than 0.1
Nitrates 5-10

One of my 5 duncan is looking a bit bothered and I cant figure out why. It's the only one retracting and hes been in the same light level for a while now and has previously shown full polyp extension. Took him out and gave an idodine dip in case it was pest related to try to mitigate but nothing came up in the water after 5 minutes. Rest of my duncan seem fine and continue to grow their new heads. Anyone have any ideas ?

Edit: added photo of his usual look. Pic is a week old but he's been looking the same until yesterday.
1000037862.jpg

1000037861.jpg 1000037860.jpg
 
Last edited:
Its difficult to see which coral your referring to, can you take a picture with the blue lights turned off, leave only whites for pictures.

How long has it been in your tank? What is your lighting and flow like?
 
Its difficult to see which coral your referring to, can you take a picture with the blue lights turned off, leave only whites for pictures.

How long has it been in your tank? What is your lighting and flow like?
It would be the smallest rightmost duncan thats retracted compared to the rest. My duncan were my first corals so pretty much week 1-2. Here's a white light pic.


Currently running 2 hygger eyeballs at 60% blue and white light mix. Around "noon" for my tanks time (I wake up at 4am for work so noon for the corals is pretty early in human time) for 1-2 hours I increase it to 80% and back down to 60%
1000037882.jpg

Running 3 jets rated for 25 gallons aimed at walls in a circular fashion for water flow, nothing direct and with the water flow from the 2 filters it's a bit random as well but not overly strong at all. I aimed for my left side to be less flow than my right ride where I plan to have many torches.
1000037879.jpg
1000037880.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 1000037875.jpg
    1000037875.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 51
Its difficult to see which coral your referring to, can you take a picture with the blue lights turned off, leave only whites for pictures.

How long has it been in your tank? What is your lighting and flow like?
1000037883.jpg


Not the best pic cos its a SS of a wider shot but this is his usual look thank you for the help
 
I hope someone has good suggestions for you... my only idea is maybe it needs more flow, the polyps should wave back and forth in the flow, maybe try a different spot in the tank? Sorry I don't have any more idea's but others should comment, good luck.
 
I hope someone has good suggestions for you... my only idea is maybe it needs more flow, the polyps should wave back and forth in the flow, maybe try a different spot in the tank? Sorry I don't have any more idea's but others should comment, good luck.
Weirdly they're polyps arent really as wavey as ive seen others duncans. Instead they're a bit rigid but I believe its because they were young frags so they just havent grown to length to be wavey just yet but since 3 of the 5 are growing new buds from their skeleton they seem to be doing good. I'll give them a slight increase in water flow and see how they fair thank you for the advice.

Do you think its fine to feed the tank ? It's a mix of AB+ and Reef roids.
 
Its proximity to the happy duncan would make me believe it is getting similar flow. Parameters are fine. All I can suggest is mine do this a couple times a year for reasons I haven’t figured out. It stays like that for a day or two and then is back to being happy. The first time it sent me into a panic. I would just keep an eye on it.
BD9D922E-4487-4B0B-8215-F3A84AC911D6.jpeg
 
Its proximity to the happy duncan would make me believe it is getting similar flow. Parameters are fine. All I can suggest is mine do this a couple times a year for reasons I haven’t figured out. It stays like that for a day or two and then is back to being happy. The first time it sent me into a panic. I would just keep an eye on it.
BD9D922E-4487-4B0B-8215-F3A84AC911D6.jpeg
Thank you so much your duncan looks awesome, how many heads total and how long did it take?

Mine started sprouting a couple weeks ago and I was so happy

Pics of their sprouts
1000037900.jpg
1000037901.jpg
 
Thank you so much your duncan looks awesome, how many heads total and how long did it take?

Mine started sprouting a couple weeks ago and I was so happy

Pics of their sprouts
1000037900.jpg
1000037901.jpg
I stopped counting at 70 heads. I’ve had it for just over 3 1/2 years. Pretty hardy and an easier lps to have.
B4C42B1E-127B-4760-91C3-3A754F76EB35.jpeg
C325B890-F213-4D31-98BA-DF089D1F4BD1.jpeg
 
Have you ever taken any frags off it ?
Actually a couple weeks ago it fell from the rock and I decided to do some fragging. All heads are connected with a flesh band, unlike when I frag euphyllia, so I just wanted to do a small trial.
BFA42DC6-9F12-4BB5-9039-8FC8D9B038EB.jpeg
 
Actually a couple weeks ago it fell from the rock and I decided to do some fragging. All heads are connected with a flesh band, unlike when I frag euphyllia, so I just wanted to do a small trial.
BFA42DC6-9F12-4BB5-9039-8FC8D9B038EB.jpeg
1000038183.jpg

Good news! He's back to normal, just like you said was just taking some time to do whatever it was doing lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new