Soon to be build

fl_flats89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all
Well it's been probably 4 years since I had my last reef tank and really have the itch for another. Now that I have my own home and getting married it's going to be time for a new reef tank. I want opinions on what you guys think. For some reason I think I'm over thinking this whole setup but I really want it right, maybe it's over kill but that's why I want some opinions. So here it goes on what I was thinking for what I want.

Tank- Mr Aqua 22 long drilled

Sump- Trigger system emerald 26 inch

ATO- Tunze osmolator 3155

Return pump- Sicce 3.5 (660 gph) or Waveline dc2500hp

BRS 4 stage RO/DI unit

Skimmer- Reef Octopus BH 50 or Bubble Magus NAC series 3.5

Cobalt heater

Lighting- two Kessil A160we with Spectral controller

BRS GFO & carbon reactor deluxe

I have thought long and hard about what I want and what I like and this would be it. As far as an over flow tell me what you think about this
attachment.php

My only worry is if a screen were to get blocked and not drain into the sump properly potentially making a mess on my floor. I really like the sleek idea and having as little equipment in the display as possible like an overflow box. Please let me know what you think or would do differently all opinions and criticism welcome.

THANKS

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from Cobalt heaters, they've had some issues. Everything else looks great.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have herd mixed opinions on that heater. What would you recommend?
Eheims are good heaters. I use the one that has a LCD controller readout on it. Drs. Foster Smith has sales on them sometimes.

Hunter S Thompson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"My only worry is if a screen were to get blocked and not drain into the sump"
A valid concern. What I have done is to put two instead of one. If one gets blocked, you are fine. You probably cut down on noise doing this as well.
Also you could skip using the screen as long as you're fine with snails and maybe even an occasional fish flowing into the refugium. I had a clownfish take the ride once, but I don't use filter socks so he was just fine.

OP
OP
F

fl_flats89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"My only worry is if a screen were to get blocked and not drain into the sump"
A valid concern. What I have done is to put two instead of one. If one gets blocked, you are fine. You probably cut down on noise doing this as well.
Also you could skip using the screen as long as you're fine with snails and maybe even an occasional fish flowing into the refugium. I had a clownfish take the ride once, but I don't use filter socks so he was just fine.
I did plan on drilling two three quarter inch drains and two half inch returns

OP
OP
F

fl_flats89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would anyone recommend as far as dosing a two part or adding KALK to the ato resivour on this size aquarium? Is it a must or just depends on how fast the coral use the calcium and alkalinity in the water

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it's seamless or not
If it's one single piece of glass without silicone it's seamless.

About the dosing, I've always gotten by with water changes for calc and alk but have tried pouring some kalkwasser all at once into the tank a few times (which is not recommended because of pH spikes) and my corals swelled up and perked up immediately. I've been out of the hobby for a year and starting up again now. This time I'm using a kalk dripper from BRS, a diy kit for about $20. It's the easiest and simplest way to do it and until I have a demanding bioload why should I do it any other way? I'll start out with about 1/2 a teaspoon of kalk to a quart of water and adjust according to my tank's need. I don't want to burden myself with a 2part, dosser and all until I absolutely need it. That should be my motto for all equipment though it's not! It's the way I'm doing minerals because I absolutely hate testing.

OP
OP
F

fl_flats89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's one single piece of glass without silicone it's seamless.

About the dosing, I've always gotten by with water changes for calc and alk but have tried pouring some kalkwasser all at once into the tank a few times (which is not recommended because of pH spikes) and my corals swelled up and perked up immediately. I've been out of the hobby for a year and starting up again now. This time I'm using a kalk dripper from BRS, a diy kit for about $20. It's the easiest and simplest way to do it and until I have a demanding bioload why should I do it any other way? I'll start out with about 1/2 a teaspoon of kalk to a quart of water and adjust according to my tank's need. I don't want to burden myself with a 2part, dosser and all until I absolutely need it. That should be my motto for all equipment though it's not! It's the way I'm doing minerals because I absolutely hate testing.
Makes sense just was not sure. I planned like I said with adding KALK to my ato because I don't want a lot of equipment in the sump area, I want it looking as clean as possible. So a two part sound out of the question unless I really have an issue with my calcium and alkalinity levels in check, I plan on having a mixed reef with some sps.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't use that screen for an overflow. I would use something designed to be an overflow, like the ones here (I use the ones with the teeth and lid). I have had one for 6-7 years now and they work great and are very quiet. They use a 1" drain.

Overflow4-1.jpg

OP
OP
F

fl_flats89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't use that screen for an overflow. I would use something designed to be an overflow, like the ones here (I use the ones with the teeth and lid). I have had one for 6-7 years now and they work great and are very quiet. They use a 1" drain.
I had a nano glass holes kit before and never had an issue with it I just was looking for a more sleek style with less in the display. I'm still throwing around ideas on what I want to settle on.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense just was not sure. I planned like I said with adding KALK to my ato because I don't want a lot of equipment in the sump area, I want it looking as clean as possible. So a two part sound out of the question unless I really have an issue with my calcium and alkalinity levels in check, I plan on having a mixed reef with some sps.
I might add the dripper is totally independent of the ato and should be.

Hunter S Thompson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also like less in the display. Which is why all my overflows have been simple black bulkheads on a black background. No screens or overflow boxes. As long as you have much more drainage than you need, you will never have noise (helps if you are using flex hoses) and you won't suck up critters (often, lol, other than snails that you can move back on occasion). Two larger holes are better than that overflow box that Fin posted, IMO. Unless... you are keeping larger fish or something that you're concerned might want to go tubing. Also the box Fin posted lets you drill holes further away from the edge (safer, less chance of a crack).

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.7%
Back