Sort of starting over?

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So I have a 40g reef tank that I really love, but my passion for it has started to dwindle since I have a significant infestation of vermentid snails. Long story short, I didn't know they were bad like that until it was too late. I've learned my lesson, but manual removal of them is going to be near impossible.

I have an idea as to how to start over though.. I have a small tank that I used for quarantining and was wondering if I can buy some dry rock and "feed" it for a month or so. That way I can get rid of all of the rock in my tank, and removing the vermentid snails from other locations manually (which is much more manageable). Would that work as expected? I'd take some of my bio media from my filters to speed up that process in the smaller tank.

Does that make sense? Or would it make more sense to just go and buy a ton of live rock from a LFS and just instantly replace all of it. So many of my corals are just destroyed/dead but I want to try to bring the tank back.

Any recommendations would be great! I appreciate it!

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the live rock. Those vermited get in your pipes and stuff, dry rock is nothing but new real estate. Also a 40 gallon can definitely be cleaned up manually. Just spend a half hour a day, cut your feeding way back. Only direct feed your fish, dump in a bunch of bubble bee snails, use kz coral snow daily . And just keep on top of it from there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back