SOS plz

reeferTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I dipped my micronesian hammer coral when bringing it home. it’s been in my tank for almost 2 weeks and I noticed this yesterday after doing a water change and moving my hammer. any ideas what it could be and if i should dip the hammer again or just let it be? thanks in advance!

IMG_9876.jpeg IMG_9877.jpeg

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look very happy.Dipping coral removes parasites, kills bacteria etc, but it’s not a procedure which makes them happy either and usually they have to recover from it.

Your hammer could’ve suffer from not ideal water parameters, subpar flow or lighting. We need more info about those, also how old is your tank.

NoohpyT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're talking about the thing on the skeleton of your hammer it's a vermetid snail and should be removed

I usually use tweezers or a knife to remove them completely, or you can put super glue over them

OP
OP
reeferTy

reeferTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look very happy.Dipping coral removes parasites, kills bacteria etc, but it’s not a procedure which makes them happy either and usually they have to recover from it.

Your hammer could’ve suffer from not ideal water parameters, subpar flow or lighting. We need more info about those, also how old is your tank.
Nitrates 0ppm
Calcium 420ppm
KH 10
Phosphate 0.25ppm

The lighting is 125 par

I have a nero3 with random flow set to 40% during the day at 20% at night

tank is about 4 months old

OP
OP
reeferTy

reeferTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more nitrate. They like it a little higher, 5+pmm
it was at 5ppm but over the past week went to zero. how can i increase nitrates without over feeding the tank? my clown devour all the pellets i drop in

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone, I dipped my micronesian hammer coral when bringing it home. it’s been in my tank for almost 2 weeks and I noticed this yesterday after doing a water change and moving my hammer. any ideas what it could be and if i should dip the hammer again or just let it be? thanks in advance!

IMG_9876.jpeg IMG_9877.jpeg
Need closer image and is it moving or stationary

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt this single vermetid is the cause of your hammer trouble. My diagnosis is: relatively young, immature tank, mismatch between Nitrates and Alkalinity ( low nitrates should accompany lower dKH), phosphates bit on high side. I would populate tank with zoas, mushrooms and wait few months with introduction of stony corals.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates 0ppm
Calcium 420ppm
KH 10
Phosphate 0.25ppm

The lighting is 125 par

4 months is too young for a hammer, to keep it alive keep your water parameters as stable as possible

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates 0ppm
Calcium 420ppm
KH 10
Phosphate 0.25ppm

The lighting is 125 par

You never want to have your nitrates or phosphates zero out . In your case your phosphates are a little on the high side and your nitrates have zeroed out . You can buy nitrates in a bottle and dose them . It doesn’t look like your tank has fully finished the ugly stage . And it’s hard for me to tell for certain but from what I see it looks like you may have a case of dino’s Going on

OP
OP
reeferTy

reeferTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never want to have your nitrates or phosphates zero out . In your case your phosphates are a little on the high side and your nitrates have zeroed out . You can buy nitrates in a bottle and dose them . It doesn’t look like your tank has fully finished the ugly stage . And it’s hard for me to tell for certain but from what I see it looks like you may have a case of dino’s Going on
i bought ME coral nitrate to dose with and am waiting on it to come in. in the mean time i do have chaeto, should i remove this? i’m not sure if it’s causing nitrates to zero out

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought ME coral nitrate to dose with and am waiting on it to come in. in the mean time i do have chaeto, should i remove this? i’m not sure if it’s causing nitrates to zero out
Yes remove but don’t discard . Put it in another container and keep a light on it and feed it .

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back