SOS - Skimmer Overflow Stopper alternative?

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I need to know a good alternative to this equipment. Sadly I think they are out of business, I have been trying to contact them with no answer whatsoever.

One of the sensors is damaged. So if the sump it's at high level the skimmer won't stop and will just keep working until it overflows.

Thanks in advance.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You looking for a overflow sensor.
Is this for your skimmer?

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you describe the scenario where the water level goes up in your sump and your skimmer is still running? In typical setups, the sump only reaches a high level after the return pump has been shut off for feeding, cleaning or maintenance. If this is the case, simply shut off the skimmer while your return pump is shut off, turn everything back on together, and add a simple delay timer to stop the skimmer from turning on for a few minutes, or until the water level in the sump drops back to normal.

OP
OP
juanmanuelsanchez

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SOS works with two sensors, one it's in my sump in case the water goes up and the skimmer is functioning (pump malfunction or power outage)

The other one it's in a container where the waste goes. Just in case it overflows.

It's a great hardware, sadly one of the sensors it's not working anymore.

Thanks

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SOS works with two sensors, one it's in my sump in case the water goes up and the skimmer is functioning (pump malfunction or power outage)

The other one it's in a container where the waste goes. Just in case it overflows.

It's a great hardware, sadly one of the sensors it's not working anymore.

Thanks

Right, I understand how the SOS works. My point is that under normal circumstances, it is not necessary.

Your return pump should not be failing frequently enough to require a sensor to check for it. If your return pump fails, you have bigger concerns than your skimmer cup overflowing. If your power goes out to your return pump, the power to your skimmer goes out too. You wouldn't have to worry about the skimmer overflowing until the power turns back on. If you have a delay timer, you won't have to worry about the skimmer overflowing at all. As far as the collection cup overflowing, I would rather plumb the cup to an external container than take my skimmer offline simply because the collection cup was full.

Personally the SOS is too complex for my liking. I would just use a delay timer instead. To each his own, however. If you decide you would like to continue using the SOS, I hope you are able to find the sensors so you can continue to do so.

OP
OP
juanmanuelsanchez

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well... actually is really simple to use and have saved me from many disastrous situations. Thats why Im asking for an alternative.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of your sump with the water high as where it give problems to your skimmer?

OP
OP
juanmanuelsanchez

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a problem but if I'm not home and the skimmer starts to put out a lot of waste, specially when in dosing stuff the waste bin gets full and there will be water all over the place.

Also when there is a power outage the sump gets full but it's takes about a minute to go back at a normal level. In that time the skimmer might pull out a lot of water. Which is ineffective and inefficient. Something I don't like.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya and we all have the same issue but if you set a delay for the skimmer on your controller for about 5 min before it comes on after the power is restored you shouldn't have a high water overflow on your skimmer.
Tweaking your skimmer to a dry skim or raising it up 1" or more that it doesn't;t happen will do the trick as well.
Fixing that sensor is your best bet.
All these bells a whistles are awesome when a piece of equipment is described but does it rally offer the benefits?
When one link of the chain is broken the whole chain falls apart IMO.

OP
OP
juanmanuelsanchez

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I still saw one in Amazon. Or try ebay... I bough the 2016 model, but you have to buy the module and the sensors separately.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 129 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.0%
Back