sound familiar H@arry?

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a bout with dinos. I think it all started when i pointed a couple of powerheads down behind the rocks. This moved a lot of sand and exposed the nasties that had been hiding there. Next thing happened was I had a few fish die (or just go missing). About this time I ordered a big bunch of snails that died within a couple of days. To top that off I ordered Instant Ocean salt by mistake and had to use two boxes of that. Before I got through with that I realized that my tanks were getting higher than 82 in the afternoon. By this time I had brown snot all over everything; sand, rocks, back glass, catching on coral, etc. It was a mess. I lost some acros to it. Tomoko told me to try kalkwasser. I topped off with kalkwasser and it was gone in about 10 days.

After the dinos were gone the cyano started until I had a red blanket on everything. I did a three day blackout and that got almost all of the cyano. There were a few places left but they went away in about a week.

Everything looks clean now but some of the acros are still not growing, they're just sitting there trying to decide whether to live or die. When I see one RTNing I jerk it out and cut all all the healthy branches and they all seem to live.

One thing that I have learned over the past few years is that when SPS get "sick" for whatever reason (read stress) they don't get over it anywhere near as fast as they came down with it. Also, they can and will pass it around to others in the tank.

I think the best policy is to not let a situation get out of hand before taking corrective action.

OP
OP
B

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a bout with dinos. I think it all started when i pointed a couple of powerheads down behind the rocks. This moved a lot of sand and exposed the nasties that had been hiding there. Next thing happened was I had a few fish die (or just go missing). About this time I ordered a big bunch of snails that died within a couple of days. To top that off I ordered Instant Ocean salt by mistake and had to use two boxes of that. Before I got through with that I realized that my tanks were getting higher than 82 in the afternoon. By this time I had brown snot all over everything; sand, rocks, back glass, catching on coral, etc. It was a mess. I lost some acros to it. Tomoko told me to try kalkwasser. I topped off with kalkwasser and it was gone in about 10 days.

After the dinos were gone the cyano started until I had a red blanket on everything. I did a three day blackout and that got almost all of the cyano. There were a few places left but they went away in about a week.

Everything looks clean now but some of the acros are still not growing, they're just sitting there trying to decide whether to live or die. When I see one RTNing I jerk it out and cut all all the healthy branches and they all seem to live.

One thing that I have learned over the past few years is that when SPS get "sick" for whatever reason (read stress) they don't get over it anywhere near as fast as they came down with it. Also, they can and will pass it around to others in the tank.

I think the best policy is to not let a situation get out of hand before taking corrective action.

+ 1

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back