Sound like a good idea?

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Just to start this post off, this is speculation. At work, we’ve had a Purple Tang for at least 3 months. It has ich, and is being treated with copper medication. I’m not sure why, but it’s not working out. The fish looks healthy, eats well, very active, but has white spots on its body. The rest of the fish are all being treated, but to no avail. I’m considering taking him home (he’s $120 with my employee discount) to treat and better monitor in my 20g high quarantine. I will definitely not keep him for his entire life, just until I can find him a new home. I feel bad that he isn’t getting better, and think isolation will get him happier and healthier. I have cupramine, garlic, frozen, NLS pellets (love their food), and can pick up some nori. I feel bad that he hasn’t been bought for months, but I also know that it’s stressful for a fish to be taken out of an already stressful environment... What’re your thoughts? He’s a 3” Tang, no torn fins, looks perfect, but has ich... A hopefully simple fix. What do you think I should do? If you’re worried about me not being able to rehome him, I have 5 LFS near me that are probably dying for a purple tang. Thanks everyone, I’d appreciate your opinions. I’ve been thinking about doing this for a while, but I’m not sure...

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Just to start this post off, this is speculation. At work, we’ve had a Purple Tang for at least 3 months. It has ich, and is being treated with copper medication. I’m not sure why, but it’s not working out. The fish looks healthy, eats well, very active, but has white spots on its body. The rest of the fish are all being treated, but to no avail. I’m considering taking him home (he’s $120 with my employee discount) to treat and better monitor in my 20g high quarantine. I will definitely not keep him for his entire life, just until I can find him a new home. I feel bad that he isn’t getting better, and think isolation will get him happier and healthier. I have cupramine, garlic, frozen, NLS pellets (love their food), and can pick up some nori. I feel bad that he hasn’t been bought for months, but I also know that it’s stressful for a fish to be taken out of an already stressful environment... What’re your thoughts? He’s a 3” Tang, no torn fins, looks perfect, but has ich... A hopefully simple fix. What do you think I should do? If you’re worried about me not being able to rehome him, I have 5 LFS near me that are probably dying for a purple tang. Thanks everyone, I’d appreciate your opinions. I’ve been thinking about doing this for a while, but I’m not sure...
Do you know what treatment the store is doing and what levels they're keeping the tank at? It's extremely suspicious that its been in copper for 3 months and still not improving. My guess is they're not keeping it at a high enough level to kill off the ich. Any pictures? My other concern is that if it already has ich, and you stress it out more by moving it, may be to much for it.

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what treatment the store is doing and what levels they're keeping the tank at? It's extremely suspicious that its been in copper for 3 months and still not improving. My guess is they're not keeping it at a high enough level to kill off the ich. Any pictures? My other concern is that if it already has ich, and you stress it out more by moving it, may be to much for it.

That’s what I’m thinking. The problem I’ve been having is the fact that I’m 15 and brand new to working there... Although I know a bit about aquariums, I don’t think my opinion/I guess “knowledge” would be taken as seriously as someone who’s been there longer than I have.

I don’t work til Wednesday, so I’ll check it out. I haven’t done much saltwater wise yet, so I’ll have to ask when I get there. I don’t think I have a picture, but I may have a video of feeding nori. Can I post that here? I agree that it may be stressful, too. Honestly, I think this is their second run on treating copper, but again, not sure.

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feel you can improve it's health and find it a appropriate home when cured, then go for it.

That’s what I’m hoping! It’s a big price to pay on a fish that may not even make it, but my decree is that if it’s not sold by February first I’ll just buy it. In all honesty, I’ll even upgrade my tank if it ends up getting extremely healthy haha! When I say 3”, I don’t think it’s 3”, maybe a little smaller. Very tall though, extended fins.

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted it in my Instagram story, @reeftank10g. Funny, my QT is bigger than my display! Also, the tang doesn’t look bad in the video. It’s not high quality, re-saved from Snapchat, to camera roll, to Instagram. Doesn’t help that there’s sand flying around everywhere, too...

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regarding the tank moving. I live less than 2 minutes away from the store so the travel won’t be an issue.

I could try and replicate what we have in the store. It’s just some sand on the bottom and a few rocks. I don’t want to waste my current cycled live rock, so I’ll change out for PBC. Now that I’m writing this, that won’t actually be very similar haha!

I also don’t know a ton about copper treatments, and I know there’s red slime algae on some of the rocks. Do you know if copper will kill that? If there’s copper on the system, then this stuff should be gone already, I think?

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is unwise and counter productive to become emotionally attached to animals you may feel sorry for and to spend your energy attempting to treat every individual that happens along.

I suggest a better approach is to spend your energy learning, practicing skills and improving conditions and practices at the store which will keep you from assuming unnecessary risk as well as improving the welfare of all the fish.

Show the store owners a better way.

Just my opinion, if course.

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is unwise and counter productive to become emotionally attached to animals you may feel sorry for and to spend your energy attempting to treat every individual that happens along.

I suggest a better approach is to spend your energy learning, practicing skills and improving conditions and practices at the store which will keep you from assuming unnecessary risk as well as improving the welfare of all the fish.

Show the store owners a better way.

Just my opinion, if course.

Yeah! I decided to let someone who’s better prepared for a 3” Tang get it. I also don’t like the way they do things there, but I’m going to wait until I get more experience working until I say anything. Thanks for everyone’s help!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back