Source for clean chaeto in Canada?

samuelgrant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a good experience ordering chaeto from online Canadian vendors? I see fragbox.ca has some at a decent price, but there are no reviews so I don't know if it's actually clean or not.

My LFS is rife with aptasia and GHA – wouldn't trust their chaeto at all, otherwise I would buy local.

Bringer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking around Toronto and haven't had much luck. I know the guys at NAFB have refugiums at home and have offered to bring in clean chaeto if I ask? Might be worth a call.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canada corals is where I had gotten mine, they do not have it all the time though and when they do it's gone pretty fast. I QT'd my Cheato when recieved it but found nothing. Regardless of what they say I would QT it for pests. Risking your system is not worth it for how easy QTing Cheato is.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do! I just received a tennis’s sized quantity last week. I live in Toronto. Note the shipping was crazy expensive. Total cost was $93 Canadian.
Waaaa?!

A tennis ball of chaeto for $93?!? Was that the only thing you ordered?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get what you can get and clean and QT it. There is really no such thing as "clean" chaeto for long... it can be full of nasty stuff just as fast as your tank can be if you do not have a true coral QT. The first frag plug can bring in flatworms, aiptasia and all kinds of algae. You need to have consumers.

If you don't want something in your chaeto, then you need to do it yourself just to be sure, just like any coral or fish.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use cheato, but if I did I would pick through a $0-5 portion then keep it in a bucket before I paid $93 for some. That's more then I'd pay for a lot of frags...

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We totally ship to Canada :) ~Shaun K.

Do you fill out the proper forms to avoid the duty fees at the border? Products produced in the US can be exempt from most fees at the border but the proper paperwork needs to be filled out by the company who's shipping the item... this can easily add $10+ to an order and unfortunately the customer here has to eat it.

Last edited:

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Canada Corals. Got my chaeto there, none of that aiptasia or anything.

J&L aquatics, if you're nearby Burnaby, though I think they are starting shipping back up soon.

Actually came with 2 1" brittle stars which I was pretty pleased with, considering my other lfs sells them for $15/each.
Friend of mine had 5 in his, lucky bugger.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you fill out the proper forms to avoid the duty fees at the border? Products produced in the US can be exempt from most fees at the border but the proper paperwork needs to be filled out by the company who's shipping the item... this can easily add $10+ to an order and unfortunately the customer here has to eat it.
Would like to know this as well @AlgaeBarn

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to shipping anything from the US to Canada that's Reef related ;Shifty
i tried ordering a waterbox reef tank at first it says shipping isnt availible but after it appeared ti be shipped by freight and guess how much the shipping was
guess
guess\
$2600 CAD shipping+taxes+customs fee and that
i ended up getting a red sea tank

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried ordering a waterbox reef tank at first it says shipping isnt availible but after it appeared ti be shipped by freight and guess how much the shipping was
guess
guess\
$2600 CAD shipping+taxes+customs fee and that
i ended up getting a red sea tank

Yeah unfortunately they don't have a Canadian distributor, even though they had mentioned to me months ago they were working with one

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like i can get Chaeto from JLaquatics, 22.95 for a small bag and 10.95 for shipping. Anyone know if it is clean?

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like i can get Chaeto from JLaquatics, 22.95 for a small bag and 10.95 for shipping. Anyone know if it is clean?
I just got some from Fragbox yesterday, $10 for a tennis all size

Close inspection has been clean for me.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back