Source of Corals in this Hobby

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With all the discussion surrounding export issues in this hobby, does anyone have any insight as to what (rough) percentage of imported corals effected by this situation feed the distribution in this hobby?

As a new hobbiest still setting up a tank, it seems unfortunate to have come in at what seems to be a tumultuous time. I'm not sure I understand if 90% of corals sold come from these sources or if its really just a small percentage.

EYE-CANDY AQUATICS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 80% of corals in the hobby are imported from many places but the 2 biggest are Australia and Indonesia. This figure is starting to decrease with the amount of aquaculture corals being introduced into the hobby today. Look at he marketplace here for example, hundreds of aquaculture frags at a fraction of the price that you pay instore. While the issue in Indonesia is going to inflate some prices, it won't last long and won't have a large impact on the reef community

OP
OP
Skep18

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
About 80% of corals in the hobby are imported from many places but the 2 biggest are Australia and Indonesia. This figure is starting to decrease with the amount of aquaculture corals being introduced into the hobby today. Look at he marketplace here for example, hundreds of aquaculture frags at a fraction of the price that you pay instore. While the issue in Indonesia is going to inflate some prices, it won't last long and won't have a large impact on the reef community

80% is a lot but I guess they can really send over large batches. Probably hard for aquaculture to keep up with quantity there.

Thanks for the info!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back