Source of hi iron and silicon

Klyph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my latest triton icp test back. All numbers are in very good range (as they have been for a couple years) with the exception of high iron (12 ug/l) and silicon (400 ug/l). My corals are looking stressed recently, so something is going on.

Haven’t found any metal in the tank but will continue looking.

What would be some logical reasons for the combo of elevated iron an silicon? I did use a really big glob of coral putty (like half a tube) for something in the tank. Could that have done it?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The iron may be higher than this company’s target, but many folks specifically target levels 10x higher than yours is now. Red Sea recommends that. While I think that is needlessly high, it shows your level is not a problem,

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back