Sourcing Lemon (or lemon drop) nudibranch? Coldwater marine vendors?

McDave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again,

This is sort of a follow up post to my last, but I believe the question is different enough that it warrants its own thread.

Either way, after doing extensive research on nudibranchs (even going as far as attempting to contact vendors in Singapore). I have decided instead of working on obtaining chromodoris tricolor and jorunna funebris, instead obtaining a local (i.e. found on U.S. shores) nudibranch (preferably one of the many "lemon" nudibranchs) which are relatively common in the north eastern coast of the USA. I am just wondering if anyone here knows of any vendors or sellers in such areas that specifically sell a lemon nudibranch.

I am working on researching them in home aquaria, and seeing if I can compose a) an artificial food for them, b) make some progress in aquaculturing such species, and c) see of I can keep them sustainably. (I have found resources online that provide the chemical and biological composition of the sponges they consume, along with vendors selling live food specimens)

After some research I have found these sources:

the Marine Biological Laboratory Order Form (https://www.mbl.edu/research/resour...ine-resources-center/order-organisms-services)
[they claim to collect lemon drop nudibranchs, but I believe they only sell to official research institutions]

Gulf of Maine Inc. (https://gulfofme.com/)
[have a "white dorid" for sale, but no lemon nudibranch or similar specimens]

Gulf Specimen Marine Lab (https://gulfspecimen.org/)
[have a variety of cool nudibranchs, most of which, however, I haven't found a sustainable food source for, and don't sell the lemon style nudibranch.]

If anyone can suggest any good vendors that source such coldwater nudibranchs, or even directly source them for me, or even just coldwater marine fish vendors, please let me know!

Thank you!

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you've come across this thread already but it lists a few extra places other than what you've already listed as coldwater livestock vendors:

Probably none of them are going to carry those species with regularity but maybe if you contact them and are willing to part with a decent amount of money, you'll get lucky.

OP
OP
M

McDave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you've come across this thread already but it lists a few extra places other than what you've already listed as coldwater livestock vendors:

Probably none of them are going to carry those species with regularity but maybe if you contact them and are willing to part with a decent amount of money, you'll get lucky.
Thanks for the suggestion! I had already reviewed that list before I posted but I will check again and see!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%

Back