Sparating tanks that are plumbed together question

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2019
Messages
1,618
Reaction score
761
Location
Philadelphia
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey All!

I just have a few questions about how to separate tanks that I have plumbed together. So I have a 90g tank which has been up for 5 years and I want to restart this tank to fully rescape. The 90 drains into a sump where I have a return pump that pushes the water to my 50g frag tank as well as a 40 breeder. The frag tank doesnt have any rock but the 40 does. I setup the 40 3 months ago with rock from my sump thats 5 years old.

My main question is should I add rock from the 90 to the frag as well as 40 so I dont mess up the good bacteria through the system? After I separate the 90 I will not reconnect it. I want it to be its own system. I have mainly acros in the 50 as well as 40

By doing this, will it mess anything up parameters wise. Is there a correct way to do it?
 
Once you separate the tanks, the parameters may diverge as the demands on each system sound different.

How do you plan to filter the smaller tanks?
 
Once you separate the tanks, the parameters may diverge as the demands on each system sound different.

How do you plan to filter the smaller tanks?
I plan to get a new sump and just plumb them to that and run a skimmer, carbon, fuge, and bio block
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new