Spar's Tank Transfer Method

Bauyer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see this answered, can you use one of the same 10 Gallon setups for the final observation period? I need some instruction for the QT after the last transfer is done. I'm not sure if I need a whole new setup for the last few weeks before the DT or not.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see this answered, can you use one of the same 10 Gallon setups for the final observation period? I need some instruction for the QT after the last transfer is done. I'm not sure if I need a whole new setup for the last few weeks before the DT or not.

You can use one of the 10 gallons as the observation tank. You would need a powerfilter for it with a seeded sponge or other media along with the rest of the equipment and all of that would have to have been sterilized after it was last used during TTM. Also, you would want to be sure it could handle the fish you are running through QT.

Jose H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long as you are not using medications in conjunction with TTM (ex. Prazipro); you can dose a reducer, such as Prime or Amquel, to neutralize the ammonia as often as is necessary.
Hey humblefish. Is prazipro reef safe? Or can it hurt corals, inverts Etc?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey humblefish. Is prazipro reef safe? Or can it hurt corals, inverts Etc?

Prazipro is considered reef safe. I and many others have used it in a reef tank with no, or little, side effects toward corals. You have to watch your feather dusters, and bristleworms may be impacted.... but i didn't experience either of those when I did mine, and i haven't heard from any others that did either. I did, however, have a slight fading of color with my montis who's color came back fairly quickly afterwards.

Jose H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is considered reef safe. I and many others have used it in a reef tank with no, or little, side effects toward corals. You have to watch your feather dusters, and bristleworms may be impacted.... but i didn't experience either of those when I did mine, and i haven't heard from any others that did either. I did, however, have a slight fading of color with my montis who's color came back fairly quickly afterwards.
Thanks for the info!

Bauyer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to pick up a flame angel on Wednesday, I'll be trying the Tank Transfer Method for the first time, in conjunction with Prazipro. Wish me luck!!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to pick up a flame angel on Wednesday, I'll be trying the Tank Transfer Method for the first time, in conjunction with Prazipro. Wish me luck!!

Good luck! A little tip... Dont hesitate to do a water change in between transfers if there is ammonia present or if you feel it's needed.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got another question for you, if I were to dose prazipro on my tank, will follow need to do a water change after a certain amount of hours, days?

On a display or TTM tank?

Bauyer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm on day 9 of the TTM, scheduled to do my 3rd transfer tomorrow morning. I dosed Prazipro on the onset of the 2nd transfer, the 12th. Today i meant to add prime and wasn't paying attention and added Prazipro instead. Will this be an issue? Should I still dose Prazipro on transfer 4?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm on day 9 of the TTM, scheduled to do my 3rd transfer tomorrow morning. I dosed Prazipro on the onset of the 2nd transfer, the 12th. Today i meant to add prime and wasn't paying attention and added Prazipro instead. Will this be an issue? Should I still dose Prazipro on transfer 4?

A water change wouldn't hurt. Still do the prazi on the 4th transfer since you need to kill the newly hatched baby flukes. This accidental dose is too soon to catch them.

Bauyer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be ok to wait until tomorrow morning for a w/c? Instead of doing one today and then another one tomorrow And keep on the normal schedule? Luckily he ate plenty this morning before I added the Prazipro

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be ok to wait until tomorrow morning for a w/c? Instead of doing one today and then another one tomorrow And keep on the normal schedule? Luckily he ate plenty this morning before I added the Prazipro

Well, I'd prefer if it was done now, but if you have to do it tomorrow then that's what you gotta do.

Bauyer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, what percent do you recommend I do? Thanks for all your help[emoji3]!!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, what percent do you recommend I do? Thanks for all your help[emoji3]!!

50% would work well... but whatever you can manage will be better than nothing. I just worry about over exposure to prazi.... I doubt being exposed to it one extra time will do anything, but the fear is that it will create prazi resistant flukes. I dont want to freak you out with that statement so try not to ok?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back