Species names for zoas

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit confused about if people actually know the species names of the zoas in the aquarium trade, like what species exactly is a gmk or La Lakers zoa? Just a bit curious

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grand Master Krakatoa, pretty rare
LA Lakers are purple and yellow, not so rare

Seems like some zoas have many names, and very often there are morphs of zoas. Some look different in other tanks based off nutrients or lighting. There are a few people on here who are very knowledgable on a variety of zoanthids. Some, like myself are just keen to the ones we own, or desire. In most cases, the cooler the colors and name, the more dough you’re gonna have to hand over for a polyp.

ATAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit confused about if people actually know the species names of the zoas in the aquarium trade, like what species exactly is a gmk or La Lakers zoa? Just a bit curious
Do you mean like species as like with acros (milli, grandulosa, stag,...) or do you mean color variations?

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean like species as like with acros (milli, grandulosa, stag,...) or do you mean color variations?
I mean true genus and species names, they seem to have too much variation to just be like 2-3 species.

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grand Master Krakatoa, pretty rare
LA Lakers are purple and yellow, not so rare

Seems like some zoas have many names, and very often there are morphs of zoas. Some look different in other tanks based off nutrients or lighting. There are a few people on here who are very knowledgable on a variety of zoanthids. Some, like myself are just keen to the ones we own, or desire. In most cases, the cooler the colors and name, the more dough you’re gonna have to hand over for a polyp.
I know, I have La Lakers and others and am actually going to be buying either GMK or something similar soon, maybe wait for reefapalooza nj. Just really interested why we have all acro names but none surrounding our zoas, maybe it is just 1 and i am ill informed

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I have La Lakers and others and am actually going to be buying either GMK or something similar soon, maybe wait for reefapalooza nj. Just really interested why we have all acro names but none surrounding our zoas, maybe it is just 1 and i am ill informed
I see, I misunderstood your question.

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GMK la Lakers stargazers exosphere are just the given name to the coloration
Scientifically they are either zoanthids or palyathoa as far as I know

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas typically come from one collector and then are spread from there. Hope this helps. Still kinda don’t get your question.
I mean like Zoanthus sociatus, or zoanthus pulchellus. Does anyone know the species to match some of these morphs, i get the difference between a morph and a species as well

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaning towards gigantis maybe for GMK but idk im no taxonomist

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don’t think anyone delves that deep into zoas. I doubt most even know origin.
Lol so im all alone here?
Animated GIF

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its more curiosity for me as i can name most corals with species and whatever colloquial name we give them but cant say anything for zoas

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really cool question i hope someone knows lol

OP
OP
D

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also i thought maybe it would help with the fear of paly toxins as well if we at least somewhat knew better

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there has been enough research
Never underestimate the time and money burned up in academia on nearly pointless pursuits relative to the true issues of humanity...

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Sand incorporated into outer column of polyps, polyps feel rough—-10.
2. Polyps feel smooth to the touch, lack sand —3.
3. Polyps embedded into coenenchyme forming a dense mat-like colony Zoanthus kuroshio (Indo-Pacific) Zoanthus aff. pulchellus (Caribbean)
4. Polyps are not embedded into coenenchyme—5.
5. Closed polyps have large white striped pattern and mouth is green in color —Zoanthus gigantus (Indo-Pacific) Zoanthus solanderi (Caribbean)
6. Closed polyps display only minor markings or no obvious markings at all — 7.
7. Open polyps display a radial pattern, often a variation of red, pink or purple with a white mouth — Zoanthus pulchellus (Caribbean) Zoanthus vietnamensis (Indo-Pacific)
8. Coloration of oral disk does not display a radial pattern— 9.
9. Oral disk may be a variety of colors displaying sometimes elaborate color patterns— Zoanthus sansibaricus (Indo-Pacific) Zoanthus sociatus (Caribbean)
10. Polyps may be unitary or interconnected but are not embedded into the coenechyme, tentacles appear straight, alternating up and down — Palythoa mutuki (Indo-Pacific) Palythoa grandiflora (Caribbean)
11. Polyps generally connected to several other polyps at base, tentacles appear curled—12.
12. Polyps are large and are brown or green in color but lack florescence—Palythoa grandis (Caribbean)
13. Polyps contain green florescent protein or display some other florescent coloration— Palythoa sp. “singapura” (Indo-Pacific).

Here’s a cool key!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back