Spectrum and Dinoflagellate Outbreak?

Billys_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also experience something similar. 50 gallon breeder was running fine. Set up was 7 months old with rocks all from an established tank of 7 years. Was running both ai hydras and radion lights. I decided to buy 2 475nm blue led light bar to my current setup. Within a couple days my tank had a crazy dino bloom that wiped out a lot of my corals. Tried running UV, raising nutrients, and dosing bacteria but none of it seemed to work until I turned off my light bars. I then noticed a decrease in dinos to manageable levels. I highly suspect that it could be the blue spectrum that dinos thrive in.

wrassie86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my tank with 250 watt metal halide 14k phoenix bulbs all was good. I decided to give viparspectra led a try and got massive Dino outbreak, Battled for about 6 mos with different methods, gave up put MH back on dino's gone in a week. A month ago I decided to try the led lights again and dino came back. Put MH back on, dino disappear in a week again. So now i am trying a mix of MH, MH being peak lighting for 4 hours with the viparspectra putting out much lower par (175 par still tuning) and so far so good dino have not come back. But i am also not running heavy blue. I did wonder if it was the heavy blue spectrum that caused the dino to appear. Maybe someday we will know.

Billys_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also experience something similar. 50 gallon breeder was running fine. Set up was 7 months old with rocks all from an established tank of 7 years. Was running both ai hydras and radion lights. I decided to buy 2 475nm blue led light bar to my current setup. Within a couple days my tank had a crazy dino bloom that wiped out a lot of my corals. Tried running UV, raising nutrients, and dosing bacteria but none of it seemed to work until I turned off my light bars. I then noticed a decrease in dinos to manageable levels. I highly suspect that it could be the blue spectrum that dinos thrive in.

Just an update to my post. My dinos were all gone after turning off these 475nm led light bars. After 2 months, I decided to turn them back on again and within a week, I started seeing dinos again. Currently I have it off and will see if the dinos disappear. Imo, there seems to be a correlation between these 2 components.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update to my post. My dinos were all gone after turning off these 475nm led light bars. After 2 months, I decided to turn them back on again and within a week, I started seeing dinos again. Currently I have it off and will see if the dinos disappear. Imo, there seems to be a correlation between these 2 components.
This is not implausible since free-living dinoflagellates, just as zooxanthellae and other brown colored algae, use mainly the blue light spectrum.

But as always, if this is good or bad depends largely on nutrient supply.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I changed the radions against the reef led from red sea ,I 'm not more have cyano, I read the other users also.But strangely it is mainly blue light?

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyanobacteria absorb blue-green light best. However, from freshwater times I know that red-blue plant tubes are said to cause cyano outbreaks which is a bit counter-intuitive. Like already mentioned, may depend from nutrient supply.

Especially in cyanobacteria it seems like everything or the exact oppositve may cause them and the same may help fight them. ;)

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had an interesting private conversation. This fellow was asking my opinion about using blue actinic lighting as the sole source. My reply - Theoretically possible, but my only experience in trying it resulted in a massive dinoflagellate outbreak within 24 hours. He reported a similar experience after changing from halides to T5s. Has anyone else seen this?

Being very close to dinoflagellate discussions, I have observed this:

Dinoflagellate problems have many times been managed reducing whites and leaving only actinic lights.

People with very strong lights usually present dinoflagellates more often.

Ostreopsidaceae seem to me as the family that likes more strong lights and different genus of dinoflagellates seem to have different responses to light intensity and spectrum.

Changing lights pretty often started a dinoflagellate problem when conditions were ideal.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weight-specific-or-pigment-specific-in-vitro-absorption-spectra-of-various-pigments.png

My dinos were all gone after turning off these 475nm led light bars. After 2 months, I decided to turn them back on again and within a week, I started seeing dinos again.
If you look at where 475nm falls in this graph relative to dino-specific pigments...
it's right in the fat part of the absorption for Chlorophyll C and Peridinin. It's perfectly suited for them.

Dinoflagellate problems have many times been managed reducing whites and leaving only actinic lights.
This, too fits with the above graph. Actinic light at a peak of 420-430nm misses peridinin completely and almost misses Chl C totally as well. Only strongly absorbed by Chlorophyll A.

So while it sounds like one person saying blues grow dinos and another saying blues-only slows dino growth, the "blues" discussed are different and I think both are likely correct.

adiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth,

Iv been battling dinos (small cell amphidinium) for about a year.

I tried,
1. Raising nutrients
2. All kinds of bacteria products
3. Removing entire sand bed and cleaning
4. Black outs
5. Pods
6. Siphoning sand bed daily through filter sock

I was running t5 and leds

About a week ago I bought new bulbs for the t5 fixture and removed the led
2x blue plus
1x actinic
1x purple plus
1x coral plus

I wish I had a par/spectrum meter to know the exact readings but I don't.

I did change the ramp up period as well. The lights take about 3.5 hours to get to 40% stay at that for 2 hours and then ramp back down for 3 hours

Without doing anything I noticed the dinos have almost completely receded on their own

So far all the corals look great and seem to be growing better than when I was running the leds and constantly trying new things to get rid of the dinos.

I'm not saying that the leds are the main culprit but it's just my 2 cents

I hope that this helps

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back