Spectrum and Dinoflagellate Outbreak?

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago I reduced my white schedule and increased the blues, it caused a dinoflagellate outbreak. I made no other changes to my system.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@becks
Is it possible that your lighting change caused higher nutrient uptake by corals/macroalgae and you possibly bottomed out on some nutrients?

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@becks
Is it possible that your lighting change caused higher nutrient uptake by corals/macroalgae and you possibly bottomed out on some nutrients?

There is that possibility, They started to appear the next day or two.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just talking about this possibility with some local reefers. All of us with a couple of decades running reefs.
It sure seems like some LEDs (spectrum, not just LED but mix most LEDs are run at) make it easier to have a dino outbreak.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dont see how lighting would make it any easier. Especially when most folks don't understand why they exist or how they got in their tank, or what feeds its dominance.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just talking about this possibility with some local reefers. All of us with a couple of decades running reefs.
It sure seems like some LEDs (spectrum, not just LED but mix most LEDs are run at) make it easier to have a dino outbreak.
Do check out the first post. It was VHO actinics.
But yea, too blue at the turn of a knob.

I just dont see how lighting would make it any easier. Especially when most folks don't understand why they exist or how they got in their tank, or what feeds its dominance.
I don’t know if Dana had ever elaborated on what he though happened in his tank recently , but in his case it was snotty diatoms and an led strip.

Its a pretty wild thing in any case.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t know if Dana had ever elaborated on what he though happened in his tank recently , but in his case it was snotty diatoms and an led strip.

Just too many variables in my opinion. It's also not uncommon to have dino being the first plankton to sprout on a new system with premature coral additions. Also, now days everyone on the reactor this and reactor that hype. Dinos in the wild sprout due to environmental changes. Often times considered a an organism that can fix the environment. We see them as toxic but when those toxins kill, they in turn provide organic and inorganic nutrients to help rebuild the ecosystem. Something that most reefers see as a bad thing in their tanks.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just too many variables in my opinion. It's also not uncommon to have dino being the first plankton to sprout on a new system with premature coral additions. Also, now days everyone on the reactor this and reactor that hype. Dinos in the wild sprout due to environmental changes. Often times considered a an organism that can fix the environment. We see them as toxic but when those toxins kill, they in turn provide organic and inorganic nutrients to help rebuild the ecosystem. Something that most reefers see as a bad thing in their tanks.
Agreed. 99%
Kinda.
What we see very often is phosphate block. Dead good bacteria and stuff takes over and then we dose nutrients up etc. the other is as you said prematur coral addition no qt etc.

Waht we (I) don’t know , and I’d kinda like too , is how dino and the snotty diatom use light. If the conditions are right with no competition,no bio diversity etc w low decent nutrients, add 100 200 umol of 444nm(?) , is that algae stimulated in just the right way?
I think it’s plausible.
I never did ask Dana waht color the leds were

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. 99%
Kinda.
What we see very often is phosphate block. Dead good bacteria and stuff takes over and then we dose nutrients up etc. the other is as you said prematur coral addition no qt etc.

Waht we (I) don’t know , and I’d kinda like too , is how dino and the snotty diatom use light. If the conditions are right with no competition,no bio diversity etc w low decent nutrients, add 100 200 umol of 444nm(?) , is that algae stimulated in just the right way?
I think it’s plausible.
I never did ask Dana waht color the leds were
In the dino thread we found some specie would grow in lower light conditions as opposed to higher light. I however cant specifically give the specie names. Im also not familiar with the 'works' of snotty diatoms but for dinos, its a way of trapping free floating organisms.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the dino thread we found some specie would grow in lower light conditions as opposed to higher light. I however cant specifically give the specie names. Im also not familiar with the 'works' of snotty diatoms but for dinos, its a way of trapping free floating organisms.
Yea I’d assume there must be some low light ones.

But the age old “new lights gave me algae” is funny now that I’ve seen a billion tanks.
It’s often the overall par quadrupled and spectrum completely changed. Really , even 20k can be made a dozen ways. So the sudden addition is probably good for corals. And dinos. And algae.

Almost everyone forgets (as they turn down , tape , remove ) red , that algaes like blue a lot.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I’d assume there must be some low light ones.

But the age old “new lights gave me algae” is funny now that I’ve seen a billion tanks.
It’s often the overall par quadrupled and spectrum completely changed. Really , even 20k can be made a dozen ways. So the sudden addition is probably good for corals. And dinos. And algae.

Almost everyone forgets (as they turn down , tape , remove ) red , that algaes like blue a lot.
Exactly why I feel there are more variables to the equation. And for the record, i like growing green algae :) although, I dont see much of it lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly why I feel there are more variables to the equation. And for the record, i like growing green algae :) although, I dont see much of it lol
I whole heartedly agree.

But my current plague had been red algae :oops:

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the dino thread. I know it's nutrients at the core, but it's also rampant now. They've always been in tanks, and there's been issues, but it's off the charts now as the majority have switched to LED and I think the majority running more blue.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the dino thread. I know it's nutrients at the core, but it's also rampant now. They've always been in tanks, and there's been issues, but it's off the charts now as the majority have switched to LED and I think the majority running more blue.
Again, i just dont see it. LEDs have become popular yes but so has dry rock. I think the better argument would be for dry rock and nutrient reduction over LED lighting.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, i just dont see it. LEDs have become popular yes but so has dry rock. I think the better argument would be for dry rock and nutrient reduction over LED lighting.
Add a giant skimmer and nopox to cycle.

Perfect storm.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My initial experience with diatoms (I think, I didn't positively ID the plague - this back in the day when research resources were limited, and I was spending $70 a month to access CompuServe's FishNet forum) was seen when I switched to entirely actinic lighting (T8 fluorescent lamps.) A later experience (diatoms confirmed) occurred for no real apparent reason, although my notes are not complete and it could be light related. It is also quite possible that this was a normal succession in a tank started with dead rock. I am now in the process of rebuilding the tank with Florida Keys live rock.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial experience with diatoms (I think, I didn't positively ID the plague - this back in the day when research resources were limited, and I was spending $70 a month to access CompuServe's FishNet forum) was seen when I switched to entirely actinic lighting (T8 fluorescent lamps.) A later experience (diatoms confirmed) occurred for no real apparent reason, although my notes are not complete and it could be light related. It is also quite possible that this was a normal succession in a tank started with dead rock. I am now in the process of rebuilding the tank with Florida Keys live rock.
Gotcha.
I had thought the last Diatom bloom had been pretty close to the Addition of an led strip in the new lab.

Congrats on the Florida rock rebuild. That’s in the bucket list for me. I’m more the hitchiker and micro fauna lover really.

The dead rock thing , particularly mined , is interesting. I had read a number of articles on it and some theories that included mineral addition to the tanks , similar to silicates , but included a number of other softer minerals as well that expolained the appearance and disappearance of some micro fauna.
One by Craig Bingman stood out. Sadly google keywording makes it impossible to find most things by him sadly. Randy f seems to disagree with it though. Lol.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha.
I had thought the last Diatom bloom had been pretty close to the Addition of an led strip in the new lab.

Congrats on the Florida rock rebuild. That’s in the bucket list for me. I’m more the hitchiker and micro fauna lover really.

The dead rock thing , particularly mined , is interesting. I had read a number of articles on it and some theories that included mineral addition to the tanks , similar to silicates , but included a number of other softer minerals as well that expolained the appearance and disappearance of some micro fauna.
One by Craig Bingman stood out. Sadly google keywording makes it impossible to find most things by him sadly. Randy f seems to disagree with it though. Lol.
There is a paper on the internet (some where - I can't find it again) that was written for those *interested in growing diatoms.* Silicates were a factor. I love the Florida live rock - calcareous algae, Halimeda, natural and varied bacteria, & no Aiptasia.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock is without a doubt another high factor. But, not all tanks having the problems have used dry.
I believe the spectrum is part of it and we're seeing more of that spectrum with higher LED use. I don't believe it's the only cause or not still part of a chain of events, but I think it makes it much easier for it to occur.

Dana, that FL rock ROCKS. Just watch the mantis. I know some that didn't have any in large orders but I filled a 29g once and had 3 of the little buggers in there. This wasn't Keys rock though, Gulf FL mid coast area. It would be great rock for a sump if worried about mantis. Post some pics of it when you get it!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back