sphaeramia nematoptera pajama pants

Colleen McLain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 75Gal - 2 pj cardinals and 2 cardinal - rock blenny a few shrimp and emerald cabs and a watchman. Tank has been running problem free for at least the last 18 months. Suddenly one of the pj's has a clear boil on his chin. No other fish appear affected. My worry is as the boil grows it may rupture which I am sure will kill the PJ but I don't know what the material exposed will do to the rest of the tank. Any thoughts on what it might be and what could be the cause. Thank you in advance for any insight and advice. CM

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 75Gal - 2 pj cardinals and 2 cardinal - rock blenny a few shrimp and emerald cabs and a watchman. Tank has been running problem free for at least the last 18 months. Suddenly one of the pj's has a clear boil on his chin. No other fish appear affected. My worry is as the boil grows it may rupture which I am sure will kill the PJ but I don't know what the material exposed will do to the rest of the tank. Any thoughts on what it might be and what could be the cause. Thank you in advance for any insight and advice. CM

Yes, it could be an abscess, but it could also be just a minor rub mark. Can you post a clear picture/video of it?

Thanks,

Jay

OP
OP
Colleen McLain

Colleen McLain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice welcome
IMG20231025083348.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice welcome
IMG20231025083348.jpg

Oh - I see that now. We see this on fish (rarely) but I've never had a fish of mine show this, so I've not been able to run any histopathology to find out a cause. The technical term is "fluid filled vesicle".

I had one case here recently that seemed to be related to edema (fluid buildup) but that fish had other symptoms (swollen abdomen).

Is the fish still eating o.k.?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
voraciously. He seems happy all the time.. chases the goby and the cardinals for fun.

I would just observe it for now - this certainly isn't a treatable disease in any event.

Jay

OP
OP
Colleen McLain

Colleen McLain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oddly enough the boil has now shrunk to the size of a top head - I can only see it cause it looks slightly pink. Fish still eating well and swimming well and seems to be normal. :thinking-face: The transformation happened the day after I introduced Razor systemic coral and live rock cleaner to the tank. Thank you for looking and answering

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back