OP
sphinx15

sphinx15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all!

I like it. I really considered getting a cube when I was purchasing my tank.
Instead of doors some guys are using magnets for removable panels.
Food for thought, that water level looks really high if you were to have much wave action in the tank.

Magnet door are exactly what I was planning :)

And yeah, water level is pretty high but with my current flow/wave action it looks alright.

OP
OP
sphinx15

sphinx15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update, specifically on the Radion light. Overall, I'd say I'm reasonably satisfied with the light but not without some significant disappointments.

The light itself is beautifully made and built. As far as form factor goes I'd say it's easily one of the best looking lights out there and looks great either alone or as part of a hybrid fixture. It puts out a decent amount of light and is definitely well known and documented to be a great light when it comes to coral health.

Unfortunately, when it comes to setup I had a heck of a time of it. When buying a little like this it's pretty much a given that you're going to use a custom lighting profile. I used the USB connection and web app (didn't want to spend another $100 on the reeflink) and it was without question one of the most frustrating interfaces I've ever used. The app doesn't seem well scaled or optimized for either desktop or mobile views and buttons and sliders were constantly off screen. I had frequent disconnects and freezes that would require starting over and an issue with the clock where it wouldn't set to the correct time of day.

Eventually the stars aligned and I was able to get everything saved and synced. Now that the light has been running for a bit I'm noticing pretty significant color banding/disco ball on the sand bed.

Perhaps I'm being picky and perhaps I had some bad luck but I do feel that a top shelf piece of equipment, something that costs well over $400, should have these kinds of issues fairly well sorted out. I will continue to stick with it and see how it goes long run, I know many people are running these with great success so that gives me hope.

Sorry for the long winded post, I just felt like I should put my opinion out there. I know when I was looking around and researching I was grateful for every opinion I found.

OP
OP
sphinx15

sphinx15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a shot of the color banding on the sand bed. It does seem to be less pronounced on the upper portions of the rock so maybe with a tank that isn't quite as deep it wouldn't be as noticeable. I will try the diffuser they offer which should help, it's just a bummer to have to spend another $50 on an already very expensive light.

0317190004_HDR~2.jpg

OP
OP
sphinx15

sphinx15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates are good right?

Finally got the doors on!
0411191830_HDR~2.jpg

They're just held on with magnets so I can remove the whole door for easier access underneath.

And, as expected, as soon as the doors went on the humidity in the stand went through the roof so I installed some fans in the back of the stand.
0324191316_HDR~2.jpg

0324191317_HDR~2.jpg

Just some 12v fans off Amazon. They're usb powered which is nice, I just used an old phone adapter.
0324191413a_HDR~2.jpg

The fans both pull air in and force it up through some vents behind the tank and through the gaps around the doors. So far they seem to work well and I haven't seen any more condensation in the stand.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sleek. Looks great man.

Are you going to put a top on it? I went with the Red Sea kit and I'm really happy with it. But you might want to go with one that has a silver frame so it doesn't draw the eye to its much. I have black silicon so it works well together. Or you could go with a glass top and clear clips on the sides.

Nice work with the fans, they are on 24/7 I guess?

OP
OP
sphinx15

sphinx15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sleek. Looks great man.

Are you going to put a top on it? I went with the Red Sea kit and I'm really happy with it. But you might want to go with one that has a silver frame so it doesn't draw the eye to its much. I have black silicon so it works well together. Or you could go with a glass top and clear clips on the sides.

Nice work with the fans, they are on 24/7 I guess?

Thanks!

I feel I should do a screen of some kind even though I love the open top look. I'd like to avoid fish jerky... The tank came with a glass top and clear clips but with the way the return is plumbed it doesn't quite fit so still looking at options.

And yeah, fans are always on. Evaporation has gone up but it's just so wet in there when they're off

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to hang the lights! I love the idea of hanging the lights from the ceiling but lofted ceilings kinda throws that out the window... Instead I went with some cantilevered hangers that I think turned out really nice.

0317191103_HDR.jpg

0320191222_HDR~2.jpg

0320191221b_HDR~2.jpg

0320191221a_HDR~2.jpg

0324191833~2.jpg

I used some heavy duty, toggle style wall anchors and despite my worries the supports seem quite sturdy. Otherwise it was fairly simple, just some 1.5" x 1.5" oak that I stained and sealed to match the trim in the rest of the room. The hanging kit is just the one that came with the Aquatic Life fixture.
Love how you hung the lights. Just noticed your running the same lights as me except I have a AI prime instead of radion.

OP
OP
sphinx15

sphinx15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now there's 2x coral plus and 2x aquablue special
Okay cool, I went for a mixture, 2 blue plus 1 aqua blue special 1 coral plus, haven't changed them up since I've had the tank and honestly everything tends to color up nicely, just wish it was more blue but if I ever swapped from my Prime to a hydra I could possibly fix that. Is your cube 2x2x2 as well? Sorry if you mentioned that earlier.

OP
OP
sphinx15

sphinx15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cool, I went for a mixture, 2 blue plus 1 aqua blue special 1 coral plus, haven't changed them up since I've had the tank and honestly everything tends to color up nicely, just wish it was more blue but if I ever swapped from my Prime to a hydra I could possibly fix that. Is your cube 2x2x2 as well? Sorry if you mentioned that earlier.

Yep, 2' cube. I might go more blue in the future but for now I like seeing the tank in fairly natural light during the day :)

Karam Aldarwich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great I am as well trying to get a cube tank running. I love the look and everything about them and just nano tanks are cool in general. Keep us updated [emoji106]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back