SPIDER CRAB’S LEGS FALLING OFF

TommyD1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone knew why my Spider crab’s legs were literally falling off. Not molting (doesn’t seem). But, he still eats fine. We have to now hold his food as he has a leg in front and one in rear. No claws. They randomly fell off. And this has happened over a period of about a month or two. Thank y’all for any help

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone knew why my Spider crab’s legs were literally falling off. Not molting (doesn’t seem). But, he still eats fine. We have to now hold his food as he has a leg in front and one in rear. No claws. They randomly fell off. And this has happened over a period of about a month or two. Thank y’all for any help
Anything in the tank that might consider crab a delicacy?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give us a list of the fish you have?
For the op - we had an arrowhead crab and coral banded shrimp that both started losing their legs, so we suspect it was a similar "invert delicacy" thing with one or more of the fish (we never did figure out which).

OP
OP
T

TommyD1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is him. We have other fish but they are in different tanks

Attachments

• B28FA8FE-AB64-481B-93FD-ECDDDF8163D2.jpeg
    B28FA8FE-AB64-481B-93FD-ECDDDF8163D2.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 45

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me for asking, but do you happen to know the scientific/taxonomic name of your crab? Some crabs drop their limbs in response to perceived threats, but they can regrow them when they molt. Other species can lose legs as a result of stress, particularly when they're molting.

strawberryfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me for asking, but do you happen to know the scientific/taxonomic name of your crab? Some crabs drop their limbs in response to perceived threats, but they can regrow them when they molt. Other species can lose legs as a result of stress, particularly when they're molting.
+1

OP
OP
T

TommyD1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t actually know that, but I see what you are saying. When we first got Spider, he was put in with other fish. And here’s another thing… come to think of it, all of the fish in that same tank got something, turned white, and died. So, maybe affects of that? Or maybe like you said, it felt threatened and we can try and wait until it molts… when we put it in, nobody attacked him, but I do recall him trying to get at another fish…. So, maybe you’re right on the threatened part

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t actually know that, but I see what you are saying. When we first got Spider, he was put in with other fish. And here’s another thing… come to think of it, all of the fish in that same tank got something, turned white, and died. So, maybe affects of that? Or maybe like you said, it felt threatened and we can try and wait until it molts… when we put it in, nobody attacked him, but I do recall him trying to get at another fish…. So, maybe you’re right on the threatened part
It could be he feels threatened, but - without knowing the species - I would guess it's more likely that he's stressed by something. It might be related to whatever killed the fish in the tank, or it might have something to do with your tank setup or water quality for it.

If you know what killed the fish (disease, lack of oxygen, toxins in the water, etc.) that could potentially be helpful in figuring out what's going on. Some other things that may be a factor (quoted from the thread linked below*):
Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef, Fish-only, Quarantine tank
Aquarium water volume
Filtration type
Lighting
How long has the aquarium been established?
Digital image of the aquarium under white light

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature
pH:
Salinity / specific gravity
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphorus
Copper
Other

OP
OP
T

TommyD1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be he feels threatened, but - without knowing the species - I would guess it's more likely that he's stressed by something. It might be related to whatever killed the fish in the tank, or it might have something to do with your tank setup or water quality for it.

If you know what killed the fish (disease, lack of oxygen, toxins in the water, etc.) that could potentially be helpful in figuring out what's going on. Some other things that may be a factor (quoted from the thread linked below*):
Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef, Fish-only, Quarantine tank
Aquarium water volume
Filtration type
Lighting
How long has the aquarium been established?
Digital image of the aquarium under white light

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature
pH:
Salinity / specific gravity
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphorus
Copper
Other
I appreciate that. I’ll scan over everything and see what is up with that.
We have a puffer in the same tank now. But, there is a divider between the Spider and him. So, the puffer can’t get to him.
The puffer is doing fine, though, and we’ve had two other tanks for 10 years or over now and they are fine as well. So, I’m thinking he may be stressed. But, we’ll check everything just to make sure. Never know.
Do you think his legs would grow back? Or just when he molts?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate that. I’ll scan over everything and see what is up with that.
We have a puffer in the same tank now. But, there is a divider between the Spider and him. So, the puffer can’t get to him.
The puffer is doing fine, though, and we’ve had two other tanks for 10 years or over now and they are fine as well. So, I’m thinking he may be stressed. But, we’ll check everything just to make sure. Never know.
Do you think his legs would grow back? Or just when he molts?
Over many molt cycles. Are there any other water quality issues?

OP
OP
T

TommyD1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over many molt cycles. Are there any other water quality issues?
Not that I know of. It is checked very often and everything has been fine besides that one time with the fish and this time. I have a Tik Tok, too, where I show the fish and the farm: @thomasdeshane

OP
OP
T

TommyD1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 - it’s going to take a good amount of time in recovery. As I understand it, with crustaceans you won’t really see any regrowth without molting.
Sounds good. Thank you all tons for the input and I’ll definitely keep it updated. Especially on my TicTac (as I call it ha!).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back